Old March 17th 09, 06:00 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Moorgate Thameslink platforms....

On Mar 15, 9:24*am, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Martin Petrov" wrote in message

will anything happen to them now? I can't see what COULD be done with
them, but are there any ambitious cunning ways to use them in the
offing?

Alternative terminating platform for Metropolitan line services?

There are two Met terminal platforms that are hardly used - do they still
use them for stabling between the peaks? Enough passengers want Liverpool
Street main line station, or offices east of Moorgate, that it would be daft
to terminate trains at Moorgate that could go on to Aldgate.
How will access to the Liverpool Street/Moorgate Crossrail station affect
Moorgate?

Peter

It is a pity that there is no practical use for the terminal platforms
at Moorgate. I remember them being seriously refurbished in the
1980s. But the former LMS and LNER connection will cease with the
Thameslink upgrade.

Aldgate is clearly a more passenger convenient location for turning LT
trains. Albeit, the location is cramped and operationally awkward.

Maybe TfL can learn from Network rail and put a small shopping mall in
the area currently occupied by the terminal platforms.

Old March 17th 09, 06:07 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:00:34 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Which I think was the reason some trains terminated at Moorgate and
Kings Cross. Also Liverpool Street but that was because there was a
kickback holding track from the bay to hold the electric locomotives.

Old March 17th 09, 09:11 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote

What is going to happen with the FCC Thameslink bays at Moorgate once the
last train leaves, which I understand will be on 20 March.

That's what most of this thread is about. They will remain available for
several months, but no passenger trains are likely to use them. After the
junction at Farringdon is severed, the consensus here is that there will
then be no rail use for them.

Peter

Old March 17th 09, 10:30 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Peter Masson wrote:
wrote

What is going to happen with the FCC Thameslink bays at Moorgate
once the last train leaves, which I understand will be on 20 March.

That's what most of this thread is about. They will remain available
for several months, but no passenger trains are likely to use them.
After the junction at Farringdon is severed, the consensus here is
that there will then be no rail use for them.

I like the shopping mall idea, as mentioned above! But they'll probably
just sit there derelict for years.

Old March 18th 09, 10:11 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mar 17, 11:30*pm, "Stephen O'Connell" wrote:
I like the shopping mall idea, as mentioned above! But they'll probably
just sit there derelict for years.

Probably end up like the spare bay at liverpool street - floored over
and turned into some sort of storage area. Dont be surprised if the
whole area is walled off with chipboard within a few months. I'm
curious as to why LU isn't looking into using them as sidings or an
extra line into moorgate for use when things go really pear shaped. A
connection from LU at farringdon would be pretty simple.

B2003
Old March 18th 09, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stephen O'Connell" wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:
wrote

What is going to happen with the FCC Thameslink bays at Moorgate
once the last train leaves, which I understand will be on 20 March.

That's what most of this thread is about. They will remain available
for several months, but no passenger trains are likely to use them.
After the junction at Farringdon is severed, the consensus here is
that there will then be no rail use for them.

I like the shopping mall idea, as mentioned above! But they'll
probably
just sit there derelict for years.

They could be used for a Cr*ssr**l ticket office...:-P

--
Current nearest station: St Pauls
Old March 18th 09, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Rupert Candy" wrote in message
"Stephen O'Connell" wrote:
Peter Masson wrote:
wrote

What is going to happen with the FCC Thameslink bays at Moorgate
once the last train leaves, which I understand will be on 20 March.

That's what most of this thread is about. They will remain available
for several months, but no passenger trains are likely to use them.
After the junction at Farringdon is severed, the consensus here is
that there will then be no rail use for them.

I like the shopping mall idea, as mentioned above! But they'll
probably
just sit there derelict for years.

And the tracks between Moorgate and Farringdon? What is the junction called
at Farringdon anyway?

Old March 18th 09, 10:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

And the tracks between Moorgate and Farringdon? What is the junction
called at Farringdon anyway?

They'll probably just lift the tracks as far as they need to to build the
southbound platform extension.

Not much of a surprise with the name though, it's 'Farringdon Junction'...

Paul