Old March 25th 09, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default G20 Summit

Does anyone know if there are plans to change public transport next
Wednesday and Thursday when the Summit is in town. At work we are being
warned about probable disruption (I work in the City) from demonstrations so
I was wondering whether I will be even to get there or not.

Old March 25th 09, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Mar, 20:01, "John Salmon" wrote:

"Paul Corfield" wrote

wrote:
Does anyone know if there are plans to change public transport next
Wednesday and Thursday when the Summit is in town. At work we
are being warned about probable disruption (I work in the City) from
demonstrations so I was wondering whether I will be even to get
there or not.

The latest TFL travel information bulletin - out today - identifies the
risk but says there are no advance plans available at this point.

But DLR are saying this:

DLR STATION CLOSURES ON THURSDAY 2 APRIL 2009

Due to the G20 Summit at ExCeL London, the Metropolitan Police have
requested that a number of DLR stations are closed on Thursday 2 April.

The stations affected are Royal Victoria, Custom House for ExCeL and Prince
Regent. *Services will operate as normal on all routes, but will not stop
at the affected stations. *Passengers are advised to use their nearest
alternative station.

Times and stations affected may be modified at short notice at Police
request. *Please check before you travel.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Not at all surprised by that - the whole area around the Excel centre
is going to be 'locked down' to the max, and the DLR line in question
skirts the northern perimeter of the centre's grounds. There'll surely
be a heavy BTP presence on the DLR network then too.
Old March 25th 09, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info everyone. I think that the authorities may be expecting
things tp happen in the square mile as we are being warned not to wear
business attire, stagger our arival/departure times, not to leave the
building when we are here etc. and are advising us, if at all possible, to
avoid main line stations . Sounds like they are expecting some real s**t!

Old March 25th 09, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 25 Mar, 21:05, "philip" wrote:

Thanks for the info everyone. I think that the authorities may be expecting
things tp happen in the square mile as we are being warned not to wear
business attire, stagger our arival/departure times, not to leave the
building when we are here etc. and are advising us, if at all possible, to
avoid main line stations . Sounds like they are expecting some real s**t!

It's worth bearing in mind that the police might well be playing up
the risk to make it easier for them to utilise a number of powers that
exist in anti-terrorism, public order and other such legislation -
powers that are conditional on there being a perceived threat.

With regards to the City of London Police, the were caught 'off-guard'
in June 1999 when a demo basically became a bit of a riot and have
been very cautious ever since.

Lastly, the corporate security officers employed by big companies
perhaps have something of an interest in playing up potential trouble
- this is after all their bread and butter and they have to justify
their existence.

Old March 25th 09, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
[...]

More likely that they are planning to dish some out and don't want too
many witnesses around.

For an idea of how accurate the reporting is likely to be, I'll never
forget May Day 2001, where I went home from chatting with some
pensioners in Trafalgar Square after the traditional march, which took
place in a cheearful carnival atmosphere, and then on the TV saw the
BBC attempting to describe a riot.

They had about ten seconds of someone being shoved outside a McDonalds
somewhere else in the country and put it on a continuous loop in the
background as they reported on the pleasant carnival I had just left.
Old March 25th 09, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"MIG" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

No doubt Sky News will hype the whole event up to the max.

Old March 26th 09, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:30:04PM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

Not at all surprised by that - the whole area around the Excel centre
is going to be 'locked down' to the max

Yay! Let's inconvenience tens of thousands of people!

Why they don't hold these bloody things in more remote places where that
wouldn't happen - and where they'd be more secure to boot - I don't
know. St Kilda would be a good choice.

Oh, of course I know. It's because the press would have trouble getting
to St Kilda and so the Dear Leader wouldn't get his ugly mug on the
front page.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life
-- Samuel Johnson
Old March 26th 09, 12:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David
Cantrell writes
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:30:04PM -0700, Mizter T wrote:

Not at all surprised by that - the whole area around the Excel centre
is going to be 'locked down' to the max

Yay! Let's inconvenience tens of thousands of people!

Why they don't hold these bloody things in more remote places where that
wouldn't happen - and where they'd be more secure to boot - I don't
know. St Kilda would be a good choice.

At the moment I'm inclined to agree with you. I have two tour jobs
booked that day (Walking tour Bankside & Blackfriars afternoon and South
Bank in the evening.) One of the clients is keen for this to go ahead,
the other is wavering and looking to *me* for advice.

Frankly, I don't *know* what to tell them. I risk losing work or I
risk disruption or even harm.

Still don't know what to do. :-(
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old March 26th 09, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26 Mar, 12:12, David Cantrell wrote:

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 01:30:04PM -0700, Mizter T wrote:
Not at all surprised by that - the whole area around the Excel centre
is going to be 'locked down' to the max

Yay! *Let's inconvenience tens of thousands of people!

Why they don't hold these bloody things in more remote places where that
wouldn't happen - and where they'd be more secure to boot - I don't
know. *St Kilda would be a good choice.

Oh, of course I know. *It's because the press would have trouble getting
to St Kilda and so the Dear Leader wouldn't get his ugly mug on the
front page.

To be fair, the Excel centre is sort of out of the way somewhat, out
in the 'more distant' Docklands. The summit isn't being held in the
QEII conference centre in Westminster, or at Lancaster House on the
Mall etc.