Old October 8th 03, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Default The Real Underground Map

I've been reading some posts recently that asked about the
availability of a geographical underground map. FYI, I have designed a
flash animation with collaboration with the London Transport Museum
that shows the relationship between the London Underground Map, a
geographical map and shows a streetmap too - just in case there are
any doubters. Just thought you might find it interesting...
Click on the link to The Real Underground at:
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

Old October 9th 03, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Sam) wrote:

Just thought you might find it interesting...

Yes, indeed - brilliant!

--
Peter Beale

Old October 9th 03, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sam" wrote in message
om...
I've been reading some posts recently that asked about the
availability of a geographical underground map. FYI, I have designed a
flash animation with collaboration with the London Transport Museum
that shows the relationship between the London Underground Map, a
geographical map and shows a streetmap too - just in case there are
any doubters. Just thought you might find it interesting...
Click on the link to The Real Underground at:
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

Extremely well done; I think it has been mentioned on this NG before....
Perhaps in the planning stage.

Beck, of course, wanted the Central line to be as straight as possible
through the centre.

I always thought that a better version would be to have the Circle Line as a
perfect circle...
Do you think you could do that? It might look really good!

Alan

Old October 9th 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"
Extremely well done; I think it has been mentioned on this NG before....
Perhaps in the planning stage.

Beck, of course, wanted the Central line to be as straight as possible
through the centre.

I always thought that a better version would be to have the Circle Line as

perfect circle...
Do you think you could do that? It might look really good!

Alan

Facists, right-wing mercenaries! (Though I actually have to admit
I love your genuine love of the underground!, now if only I could
get you all to be ardent Millwall surporters as all good RMT members
are, as one time aslef sc3 rep Godwin is, and hopefully his replacement
Wilkinson will soon be - though currently he is a right-wing Chelsea
surpporter, though all is not lost for that Canning Town inhabitant?)
But comrades, I digress, the real reason I responded to this post
being that in the London Underground internal magazine, in the
fortnightly horoscope, my prediction being:
"You feel like your life is going around in circles, but cheer up,
there is light at the end of the tunnel"............
How prophetic, Millwall, MILLWALL.........
Bob

Old October 10th 03, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Oct 2003 16:51:47 -0700, (Sam) wrote:

I've been reading some posts recently that asked about the
availability of a geographical underground map. FYI, I have designed a
flash animation with collaboration with the London Transport Museum
that shows the relationship between the London Underground Map, a
geographical map and shows a streetmap too - just in case there are
any doubters. Just thought you might find it interesting...
Click on the link to The Real Underground at:
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

Sam

Its fascinating, I'd seen it before but had not noticed you could
superimpose the street map.

One small issue is that in the cartographic version Farringdon (I
think) has been incorrectly labeled as Moorgate. It's a shame you have
not indicated the positions of all of the stations, then I could be
sure it was Farringdon and not Barbican.

--
Peter Sumner
Old October 10th 03, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Sumner wrote:
On 8 Oct 2003 16:51:47 -0700, (Sam) wrote:

I've been reading some posts recently that asked about the
availability of a geographical underground map. FYI, I have designed
a flash animation with collaboration with the London Transport Museum
that shows the relationship between the London Underground Map, a
geographical map and shows a streetmap too - just in case there are
any doubters. Just thought you might find it interesting...
Click on the link to The Real Underground at:
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

Its fascinating, I'd seen it before but had not noticed you could
superimpose the street map.

One small issue is that in the cartographic version Farringdon (I
think) has been incorrectly labeled as Moorgate. It's a shame you have
not indicated the positions of all of the stations, then I could be
sure it was Farringdon and not Barbican.

Yes, it is Farringdon, because that's where the bend in the Circle line
occurs.

It's very well done, even including gradual colour changes for the lines
that changed colour after 1933 (e.g. Bakerloo red to brown). If I may
suggest one change, it would be to include the kink in the Waterloo and
City, which runs from Waterloo to Blackfriars, then turns right to run
underneath Queen Victoria Street (nearly) as far as Bank.
--
Richard J.

Old October 10th 03, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJC CJC is offline

simon wrote in message ...
In message , Sam
writes
I've been reading some posts recently that asked about the
availability of a geographical underground map. FYI, I have designed a
flash animation with collaboration with the London Transport Museum
that shows the relationship between the London Underground Map, a
geographical map and shows a streetmap too - just in case there are
any doubters. Just thought you might find it interesting...
Click on the link to The Real Underground at:
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

Fantastic!

I really like that map, I've come across it before. Good job.
Old October 10th 03, 11:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
Peter Sumner wrote:
[...]

If there are any more criticisms then the map is simply going to be thrown
into the dustbin.
OK?
Alan

Old October 11th 03, 12:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Alan O'Brien wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Peter Sumner wrote:
[...]

You'd better tell that to the bloke that asked for a circular Circle line,
then.
;-)

--
Richard J.