Old May 22nd 09, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default Commuters suffer while Crowe inflates his ego even further

"Recliner" wrote in message
"MrBitsy" wrote in message

C) The trains are due to be replaced in a couple of years time
anyway.

In two years, this mistake is likely to happen again - I hope it is
not someone you love who may be injured.

It would take longer to modify the current stock than they will remain in
service. The demand is simply absurd. In any case, with a line entirely in
tunnel, the risk to pax is less than on any line with surface or
double-track tunnel running. Of all the bizarre Crow-****, this must be
the worst.

A man lost his job, regardless where the line is.

--
MrBitsy
Rover 75 CDTi

Old May 22nd 09, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
The demand is simply absurd. In any case, with a line
entirely in tunnel, the risk to pax is less than on any line with
surface or double-track tunnel running. Of all the bizarre Crow-****,
this must be the worst.

You *really* should look at details of the dispute. Not just take The
Mail's word for it.

For your education it's very difficult to find out the true facts behind
any industrial dispute. The press, as with everything else, tell the
'facts' the public want to hear.

The BBC news reported it in an awful way. They asked two passengers what
they thought. The first was a suited man, obviously used because he looked
like a typical business man. They then asked a woman her views - she looked
like she had just left an Oscar party. They were used to set up the shot of
a black tube driver wearing a cap with a fag hanging out his mouth.

--
MrBitsy
Rover 75 CDTi

Old May 22nd 09, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

wrote in message ...
On Thu, 21 May 2009 19:48:43 +0100
"MrBitsy" wrote:
A) There hasn't been since they were built since 42 years ago so why
didn't
the RMT see fit to go on strike in 1967?

Why hasn't the problem been fixed in 42 years?

It wasn't a "problem" until recently, just like a load of other nonsense
the health and safety culture has come up with.

Being able to open the doors on the wrong side is 'nonsense?

How do you explain pilots landing with wheels up, ships colliding with

When was the last time a commercial airliner landed with its wheels up
because the crew forgot to lower them??

I said pilots, not just commercial pilots. All pilots are highly trained
people, yet they will make mistakes because they are human. Remember the
Airbus that flew into trees at an airshow - the pilot was the makers test
pilot!

experienced captains and other very experienced people making fundamental
mistakes - are they just 'dumb'?

No , they're careless and should be fired. Making mistakes in a stressful
situation with a lot going on is one thing - not bothering to check which
side the flippin platform is on when you're doing bugger all else anyway
except possibly reading a copy of The Sun under the control desk is
something
else entirely.

If a mistake like that could cost people lives, the design flaw in the
system should be fixed.

Incidentaly, are you seriously trying to compare operating an automatic
tube
train to flying an airliner or captaining a ship??

How much manual flying do you think a commercial pilot does?

C) The trains are due to be replaced in a couple of years time anyway.

In two years, this mistake is likely to happen again - I hope it is not
someone you love who may be injured.

Oh , woah is me, those heart strings pluck so mournfully...

Not.

The trains are missing a vital safety feature. Any person operating a train
with that flaw could make the same mistake.

What experience have you of railway management? What experience are you
using to make a judgment this bullying is not taking place?

This "bullying" argument seems to end up as an orderve on most RMT
strikes.
Either working for LUL is similar to being in Stalins russia or the RMT
are
full of ****. I know which option I'd go for.

You would go with that option because of your stereo typical view, plus a
lack of experience. Reality is far different to many people views who do
not have to work there.

For your information, I was a tube driver in the eighties. I went to work
on several strike days, bearing the brunt of my colleagues anger. I do not
believe in striking, but I do have the experience of the bullying you do not
think exists.

--
MrBitsy
Rover 75 CDTi

Old May 22nd 09, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On May 22, 7:40*pm, "MrBitsy" wrote:

"Recliner" wrote:

"MrBitsy" wrote:

C) The trains are due to be replaced in a couple of years time
anyway.

In two years, this mistake is likely to happen again - I hope it is
not someone you love who may be injured.

It would take longer to modify the current stock than they will remain in
service. The demand is simply absurd. In any case, with a line entirely in
tunnel, the risk to pax is less than on any line with surface or
double-track tunnel running. Of all the bizarre Crow-****, this must be
the worst.

A man lost his job, regardless where the line is.

To which one could retort that he didn't do his job in the first
place, and then proceeded to be economical with the actualité when
questioned about the incident.

Also, not sure if you've noticed, but lots of people are losing their
jobs at the moment.
Old May 22nd 09, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote:

"MrBitsy" wrote:

C) The trains are due to be replaced in a couple of years time
anyway.

In two years, this mistake is likely to happen again - I hope it is
not someone you love who may be injured.

It would take longer to modify the current stock than they will remain
in
service. The demand is simply absurd. In any case, with a line entirely
in
tunnel, the risk to pax is less than on any line with surface or
double-track tunnel running. Of all the bizarre Crow-****, this must be
the worst.

A man lost his job, regardless where the line is.

To which one could retort that he didn't do his job in the first
place, and then proceeded to be economical with the actualité when
questioned about the incident.

Obviously he made a mistake. The problem is, if the trains still have this
flaw, other humans will also make the same mistake at some point.

Also, not sure if you've noticed, but lots of people are losing their
jobs at the moment.

I was made redundant in 2006, I do know what it feels like.

--
MrBitsy
Rover 75 CDTi

Old May 22nd 09, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

MrBitsy wrote:

For your information, I was a tube driver in the eighties. I went to
work on several strike days, bearing the brunt of my colleagues
anger. I do not believe in striking, but I do have the experience of
the bullying you do not think exists.

I was LT train crew in the late seventies/early eighties. I was sacked for
refusing to break the rules.

Old May 22nd 09, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Brimstone" wrote in message
MrBitsy wrote:

For your information, I was a tube driver in the eighties. I went to
work on several strike days, bearing the brunt of my colleagues
anger. I do not believe in striking, but I do have the experience of
the bullying you do not think exists.

I was LT train crew in the late seventies/early eighties. I was sacked for
refusing to break the rules.

That won't be believed either :-(

--
MrBitsy
Rover 75 CDTi

Old May 22nd 09, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"MrBitsy" wrote in message

wrote in message ...

How do you explain pilots landing with wheels up, ships colliding
with

When was the last time a commercial airliner landed with its wheels
up because the crew forgot to lower them??

I said pilots, not just commercial pilots. All pilots are highly
trained people, yet they will make mistakes because they are human.
Remember the Airbus that flew into trees at an airshow - the pilot
was the makers test pilot!

Actually, Captain Michel Asseline was an Air France pilot who disobeyed
his employer's instructions about how low to fly. He was supposed to go
no lower than 30m, but went as low as 30'. He blamed a faulty altimeter,
as well as slow responding engines. But I gather that the conspiracy
theorists are still not convinced that all the facts are yet known about
this crash from 21 years ago.

Old May 22nd 09, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MrBitsy wrote on 22 May 2009 19:40:12 ...
"Recliner" wrote in message
"MrBitsy" wrote in message

C) The trains are due to be replaced in a couple of years time
anyway.
In two years, this mistake is likely to happen again - I hope it is
not someone you love who may be injured.

It would take longer to modify the current stock than they will remain in
service. The demand is simply absurd. In any case, with a line entirely in
tunnel, the risk to pax is less than on any line with surface or
double-track tunnel running. Of all the bizarre Crow-****, this must be
the worst.

A man lost his job, regardless where the line is.

A man lost his job, not because he made a mistake, but because after
making a mistake he failed to carry out the proper safe procedure. If
the union think that sacking him was not justified, they should take the
matter to an industrial tribunal, rather than inconveniencing thousands
of passengers.

We are told that the monotony of the job makes it easy to make this sort
of mistake. Is that because the cab windows are in the tunnel when the
train stops, and the driver can't therefore see which side the platform
is by looking through his side window? If so, why don't they put some
big signs on the tunnel walls opposite where the cab window stops? (X
on the wrong side, tick on the correct side, or something like that.)
Just a bit easier and quicker to implement than retro-fitting CSDE on
42-year-old trains. That's if the assessed risk justifies any action at
all.

--
Richard J.
Old May 23rd 09, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:47:50
on Fri, 22 May 2009, Richard J. remarked:
We are told that the monotony of the job makes it easy to make this
sort of mistake. Is that because the cab windows are in the tunnel
when the train stops, and the driver can't therefore see which side the
platform is by looking through his side window?

They have to be able to see the CCTV monitors, which are at the end of
the platform by the driver.

It's also the case that the driver has spent the previous twenty seconds
*driving through* the station, and therefore the platform side is fairly
obvious.