London Banter

-   -   TfL's strike contingency plans... (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8337-tfls-strike-contingency-plans.html)

Mizter T June 8th 09 07:28 PM

TfL's strike contingency plans...

....first off though, it's worth noting the improved offer from LU:

"LU made an improved offer of a four-year deal of 1.5% this year and
then the inflation rate plus 0.5%; or a two-year deal of 1% now and
inflation plus 0.5% in year two."

See:

I can understand that the rationale behind the union not wanting to
sign a five year deal, as much may change in the next few years. But
here's the offer of a two year deal - I find it difficult to see how
they can turn their nose up at that. Of course I'd think LU would
prefer them to opt for the four year deal as that takes it past the
Olympics, but it seems they're willing to do a two year deal as well.
Of course I don't know the details, so perhaps there's various things
chucked in with the four year pay offer to spice it up somewhat over
the two year pay offer.

Anyway, leaving aside the brinkmanship I see from the splash on the
front page of the TfL website that they've got a number of contingency
plans up their sleeve should the strike go ahead - see the news
release he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/11971.aspx

There's several things of note...

* Most strikingly Oyster PAYG "will be accepted on all National Rail
journeys within Greater London on Wednesday and Thursday, just show
your Oyster card at station gate lines". In practice I'm pretty sure
this means that anyone who can flash an Oyster card can travel on NR
services in London.

It'll be interesting to see what is done where Oyster PAYG is accepted
for part of a National Rail (NR) route, but not for all of it -
specifically how unresolved journeys will be handled. A good example
of this is someone's normal commute from Bounds Green to King's Cross
on the Piccadilly line - instead they'll be able to travel from Bowes
Park NR station to King's Cross on FCC's Great Northern service.
Normally Oyster PAYG is only accepted on the GN service between
Finsbury Park and King's Cross/ all stations to Moorgate. However on
strike day they'd end up simply touching-out at King's Cross as they
can't touch-in at Bowes Park, and likewise on their way home touching-
in at KX and not being able to touch-out at Bowes Park.

This could be dealt with by reconfiguring all the relevant Oyster
readers (on gates and standalone validators) at NR stations to simply
debit the amount for the minimum journey from that station, i.e.
switch off the 'entry charge' system and revert to how things were
before it was introduced, and also stop unresolved journeys breaking
capping. At least this is what I'd do! If it happens I imagine it
might possibly be more easily implemented on a network-wide basis, as
opposed to trying to single out the relevant stations. Anyway, we
shall see how that plays out.

Regardless of the unresolved journey issue, passing Oyster PAYG across
NR would certainly lead to a degree of confusion in the mind's of many
passengers, given the "always touch-in, always touch-out" mantra
that's been drilled into them! Are NR staff prepared for the
questioning?!

Looking at it more generally, TfL must be prepared to hand over some
serious cash to the TOCs for effectively allowing free travel on the
NR network (but shush, just make sure you don't phrase it like that!).

* There will be "five escorted cycle rides", which will set off from
their start points at 0745 - none of which are actually very far out
of town, but I think it's often the final stretch into central London
that puts people off cycling to work. This is being organised by the
London Cycle Campaign - they've dubbed it "BikeTube(s)" and have a
special website about it he
http://www.biketube.org.uk/

The aforementioned website also has a load of other more general
information about commuter cycling - all the sensible stuff like fix
yer bike up, ride safely, plan your route etc. LCC are evidently
trying to take this opportunity to convert more people over to
cycling.

* Also with regards to cycling, there'll be extra cycle parking places
at five central London locations - if my sums are correct, there'll be
750 extra parking places at four locations plus 1,000 extra at the pre-
existing London Bridge cycle park (it's unclear if this will cost or
not - normally you've got to pay). Plus TfL reckon many business will
provide space somewhere.

* London Overground is apparently "operating as normal", so it seems
TfL are confident that the LUL managed stations can stay open.
("Operating as normal" on the NLL of course means getting stuck behind
a 'failed' freight train, or having a slow freight train sent out just
in front of a passenger train.)

* Extra river bus services will operate, including a "free peak
shuttle" between London Eye - Westminster - Tower Bridge "every 10
minutes between 07:00-10:00 and 15:00-20:00 on both main strike days"
i.e. Wednesday and Thursday.

* There'll be marshalled taxi sharing from seven London termini
stations.

* Walking maps for central London will be handed out at major rail and
bus stations and at "key Tube stations".

So, all the fun of the fair. If it encourages some more people to
'discover' walking or cycling then perhaps there can be some good that
comes from it all. Apols if the tenses got a bit confused above - that
just reflects the uncertainty over whether the strike is going to
happen or not. They keep you on your toes, the RMT, of that one can be
sure.

Martin Deutsch June 8th 09 07:44 PM

On Jun 8, 7:28*pm, Mizter T wrote:

Anyway, leaving aside the brinkmanship I see from the splash on the
front page of the TfL website that they've got a number of contingency
plans up their sleeve should the strike go ahead - see the news
release hehttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/11971.aspx

That's the 'In case of tube strike, break glass' bolt-on, as a friend
just described it. I also got a text from TfL this evening letting me
know about it, and directing me towards the website. I guess it's
going ahead, then...

I tried asking the 'special' journey planner earlier for a route home
from work, and it cheerfully suggested that I took the tube, with a
"planned engineering works are taking place" caveat on the first leg
of each of the journeys. Oh well, can't have everything...

Mizter T June 8th 09 08:19 PM

On Jun 8, 7:44*pm, Martin Deutsch wrote:
On Jun 8, 7:28*pm, Mizter T wrote:

Anyway, leaving aside the brinkmanship I see from the splash on the
front page of the TfL website that they've got a number of contingency
plans up their sleeve should the strike go ahead - see the news
release he

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/11971.aspx

That's the 'In case of tube strike, break glass' bolt-on, as a friend
just described it. I also got a text from TfL this evening letting me
know about it, and directing me towards the website. I guess it's
going ahead, then...

Ha ha, very good. However it does seem rather more comprehensive than
has been the case before - I'm thinking of the Metronet workers going
on strike in September '07 (was that their only strike, I forget?),
which shut down much of the network, though of course the Northern,
Jubilee and most of the Piccadilly lines still ran. There wasn't any
universal 'acceptance' (i.e. passing) of Oyster PAYG on NR when that
happened, which is the most significant element of this contingency
plan. So I'm kinda curious to know whether that weapon was in TfL's
strike-breaking arsenal back then.

I remember during all-network Tube strikes of the past there being
temporary car parks that were set up in the Royal Parks, though maybe
it was only in Hyde Park, I forget. Perhaps that that shows that times
have changed a bit, what with the Mall playing host to a cycle park
this time.

I tried asking the 'special' journey planner earlier for a route home
from work, and it cheerfully suggested that I took the tube, with a
"planned engineering works are taking place" caveat on the first leg
of each of the journeys. *Oh well, can't have everything...

Yes, I tried that too (on a strike day)! I then I forgot to mention it
in my spiel. Considering this special journey planner interface
appears underneath the heading "Planning your alternative journey", it
is perhaps a bit misleading.

No Name June 8th 09 08:45 PM

On Jun 8, 7:28 pm, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

So no lines will be running at all?

Mizter T June 8th 09 09:33 PM

On Jun 8, 8:45*pm, wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

On Jun 8, 7:44 pm, Martin Deutsch wrote:

[snip]

I tried asking the 'special' journey planner earlier for a route home
from work, and it cheerfully suggested that I took the tube, with a
"planned engineering works are taking place" caveat on the first leg
of each of the journeys. Oh well, can't have everything...

Yes, I tried that too (on a strike day)! I then I forgot to mention it
in my spiel. Considering this special journey planner interface
appears underneath the heading "Planning your alternative journey", it
is perhaps a bit misleading.

-----

So no lines will be running at all?

If the strike happens, that's a possibility. It's RMT members who are
going on strike, but other unions members (e.g. ASLEF) might
nonetheless refuse to cross the picket lines. So it rather depends on
how many people actually turn up to work. A limited service might
possibly run on some lines, who knows...

(P.S. Any chance you can fix your newsgroup program's broken
quoting...)

No Name June 8th 09 09:35 PM

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Jun 8, 8:45 pm, wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

[...]

I am using Outlook Express not sure how to fix it or what you mean?

Recliner[_2_] June 8th 09 09:51 PM

wrote in message

"Mizter T" wrote in message

(P.S. Any chance you can fix your newsgroup program's broken
quoting...)

I am using Outlook Express not sure how to fix it or what you mean?

Try:
Tools Options Send News Sending Format Plain Text Settings Indent
the original text with when replying or forwarding

Maria June 8th 09 10:05 PM

On Jun 8, 7:28 pm, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

What a laugh... Just checked my usual commute Kings X to Walthamstow
Central for Weds morning and all I get is the usual tube info plus a little
note telling me there's a strike. "Alternative journey" indeed! Not unless
I grow wings.

Marķa

Just zis Guy, you know? June 8th 09 11:23 PM

TfL's strike contingency plans...

here's my tube strike contingency plan:
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/wiki/Brompton

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Tim Roll-Pickering June 8th 09 11:45 PM

Paul Corfield wrote:

* Most strikingly Oyster PAYG "will be accepted on all National Rail
journeys within Greater London on Wednesday and Thursday, just show
your Oyster card at station gate lines". In practice I'm pretty sure
this means that anyone who can flash an Oyster card can travel on NR
services in London.

I'm sure people will simply be waved through.

What about journeys where one has to go through a set of PAYG readers at one
end but not at the other - e.g. Forest Gate (where readers have been
installed but don't appear to be operational) to Liverpool Street (where the
readers are configured for PAYG for Stratford to Liverpool Street), for
travellers substituting Upton Park to central London?

Will these be automatically reversed or will the PAYG user have to chase it
up - especially as they can't easily do so at Forest Gate. (Or could they
nip down to Wanstead Park and touch out on the readers there?)