Old June 12th 09, 04:08 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Modern Railways, June

On Jun 11, 2:59*pm, Jim Brittin [wake
up to reply] wrote:
In article ,
says...

In message
* * * * * "Tim Fenton" wrote:

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

I always thought of them as the Routemaster of the tube world!
I'd have said the RT. RMs were more the contemporaries of the 59 and 62
stock.

Mind you, the RT was still in production in 1954 (paradoxically, some of
these had OLD nnn numberplates).

I used to go to school on either OLD345 or OLD362, the latter was favourite
with us as the route was the 362.

Don't think so, sir. *Still have a 1962 ABC to hand which has no 300's.

The green ones were mainly 500's and 700's plus a few 600's and 800's.

Now my school ones were JXN33 to 41 when new!

One time, about 1973, I photographed RT "OLD001" under the canopy in
front of Marylebone Station. I had spent four days photographing
items of railway and transportation interest in and around London.

When I opened my camera the film had jammed. My efforts had been in
vain.

Old June 12th 09, 05:06 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 11, 8:33*am, Peter Beale wrote:

their predecessors, the standard stock, always looked old-fashioned
because of the clerestories.

But today does clerestory roof tube stock look old ?

Modern tube stock with the externally hung doors - 1992/1995/1995
stock - have a very similar external appearance albeit for very
different reasons, although unlike standard stock it is not apparent
from the head on view.

I do think the 1995/1996 front ends seem to me sort of vaguely in a
way reminiscent of standards, and 1992 stock with the first CLR m.u.
sets. Perhaps its because there is little variation you can put into
tube stock front ends without doing something radical like centre
driving position [they already tried that] or assymetry.

--
Nick
Old June 12th 09, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 12, 1:01*pm, wrote:
In article
,

(1506) wrote:
On Jun 11, 2:59*pm, Jim Brittin [wake
up to reply] wrote:
In article ,
says...

In message
* * * * * "Tim Fenton" wrote:

[...]

It's a good story, especially as the registration "OLD001" never existed!

OLD 1? 36 years is a long time to remember.
Old June 12th 09, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(1506) wrote:

On Jun 12, 1:01*pm, wrote:
In article

,

(1506) wrote:
On Jun 11, 2:59*pm, Jim Brittin wake
up to reply] wrote:
In article ,
says...

In message
* * * * * "Tim Fenton" wrote:

[...]

36 years ago is only 1973. That was after most of the RT family had been
scrapped. Looking at my "ABC British Bus Fleets 12", London Transport,
Twenty-First edition, of June 1963, I can't find any OLD mark below
OLD501. The RT fleet was still substantially complete then.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old June 12th 09, 11:48 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

1506 wrote:

One time, about 1973, I photographed RT "OLD001" under the canopy in
front of Marylebone Station. I had spent four days photographing
items of railway and transportation interest in and around London.

When I opened my camera the film had jammed. My efforts had been in
vain.

Four days in London, photographing items of transport related interest,
and that amounted to only *one* film?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9633074.html
(50 026 at London Waterloo, 1985)
Old June 13th 09, 03:53 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:08:32 -0700 (PDT), 1506
wrote:

On Jun 11, 2:59*pm, Jim Brittin [wake
up to reply] wrote:
In article ,
says...

In message
* * * * * "Tim Fenton" wrote:

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

I always thought of them as the Routemaster of the tube world!
I'd have said the RT. RMs were more the contemporaries of the 59 and 62
stock.

Mind you, the RT was still in production in 1954 (paradoxically, some of
these had OLD nnn numberplates).

I used to go to school on either OLD345 or OLD362, the latter was favourite
with us as the route was the 362.

Don't think so, sir. *Still have a 1962 ABC to hand which has no 300's.

The green ones were mainly 500's and 700's plus a few 600's and 800's.

Now my school ones were JXN33 to 41 when new!

One time, about 1973, I photographed RT "OLD001"

If that was on the registration plate then it was not a valid number.

Old June 13th 09, 08:41 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
Chris Tolley (ukonline really) wrote:

1506 wrote:

One time, about 1973, I photographed RT "OLD001" under the canopy in
front of Marylebone Station. I had spent four days photographing
items of railway and transportation interest in and around London.

When I opened my camera the film had jammed. My efforts had been in
vain.

Four days in London, photographing items of transport related interest,
and that amounted to only *one* film?

Film was expensive in 1973!

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old June 13th 09, 04:21 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Jun 11, 2:59*pm, Jim Brittin [wake
up to reply] wrote:
In article ,
says...

Old June 14th 09, 09:18 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:43:23 +0100, rail
wrote:

In message
"Tim Fenton" wrote:

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

I always thought of them as the Routemaster of the tube world!
I'd have said the RT. RMs were more the contemporaries of the 59 and 62
stock.

Mind you, the RT was still in production in 1954 (paradoxically, some of
these had OLD nnn numberplates).

I used to go to school on either OLD345 or OLD362, the latter was favourite
with us as the route was the 362.

In those days the same bus seemed to do the same duty every day. I went
to school on RT640 (JXC 448) which was always given the running number
DG36.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com