Old July 24th 09, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default HS1 Domestic trains are a bit busy

On Jul 24, 2:52*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
This may or may not be a good thing for consumers and/or the people of
West Somerset, but that's the way it is. See also brie, which is no longer
restricted to the Brie region of the Ile de France, champagne, a name
which is applied to non-Champenoise wines by some people (notably
Americans again), and London Dry Gin.

It's not made in London, it's wet, and it's not made in Geneva
either...

Doesn't 'genever' mean 'juniper' in Dutch, and have 0 to do with
Switzerland?

Yup, you're absolutely right. Another urban myth shattered.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old July 24th 09, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 19:57:16 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
"John Salmon" writes:
Within Buckinghamshire I think it's [1] just Milton Keynes that's a
Unitary Authority, i.e. outside the administrative county but inside the
ceremonial (lord-lieutenancy) one.

Incidentally, it's entirely off-topic, but is Milton Keynes as horrid as
it sounds?

Milton Keynes is a lot nicer than people who don't know the place
claim it is. It is by far the most pleasant and most successful of
the postwar "New Towns", and is characterised by a combination of
excellent landscaping and some very good modern architecture.

My only significant criticism of the town (it is a city in all but
name) is that it was designed around the car, so public transport
provision could be better. I don't live in MK but would be happy to.
Old July 24th 09, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

John B wrote:
On Jul 24, 2:52 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
This may or may not be a good thing for consumers and/or the people of
West Somerset, but that's the way it is. See also brie, which is no longer
restricted to the Brie region of the Ile de France, champagne, a name
which is applied to non-Champenoise wines by some people (notably
Americans again), and London Dry Gin.
It's not made in London, it's wet, and it's not made in Geneva
either...

Doesn't 'genever' mean 'juniper' in Dutch, and have 0 to do with
Switzerland?

Yup, you're absolutely right. Another urban myth shattered.

Didn't Junipers come from Washwood Heath?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 24th 09, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
news
John B wrote:
On Jul 24, 2:52 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
This may or may not be a good thing for consumers and/or the
people of West Somerset, but that's the way it is. See also brie,
which is no longer restricted to the Brie region of the Ile de
France, champagne, a name which is applied to non-Champenoise
wines by some people (notably Americans again), and London Dry
Gin.
It's not made in London, it's wet, and it's not made in Geneva
either...
Doesn't 'genever' mean 'juniper' in Dutch, and have 0 to do with
Switzerland?

Yup, you're absolutely right. Another urban myth shattered.

Didn't Junipers come from Washwood Heath?

They did, before they became extinct

Old July 24th 09, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Jul 24, 3:57*am, Miles Bader wrote:
"John Salmon" writes:
Within Buckinghamshire I think it's [1] *just Milton Keynes that's a
Unitary Authority, i.e. outside the administrative county but inside the
ceremonial (lord-lieutenancy) one.

Incidentally, it's entirely off-topic, but is Milton Keynes as horrid as
it sounds?

Emphatically not! I have a friend who lives in Milton Keynes. He
tells me that when he moved there, it far exceeded his expectations.
That reflects what I had heard from others who have lived there.

Of particular note is that fact that the road system was designed with
the correct capacity for the population density. In the UK that is
hardly the norm.

Old July 24th 09, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

In message , Miles Bader
writes

Incidentally, it's entirely off-topic, but is Milton Keynes as horrid as
it sounds?

I'm not sure why it sounds "horrid" - it's based around a seriously
ancient village (Middleton) that was granted to the Cahaines family
after the Norman conquest (whose property included Horsted Keynes in
Sussex as well as well as Milto Keynes).

Since the late 1960s it became a large new town, with mainly pleasant
domestic suburban architecture, but with a dismal centre and (typical of
the period) a poorly thought-out emphasis on car travel that includes a
totally unnecessary number of roundabouts

--
Paul Terry
Old July 24th 09, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

1506 writes:

Incidentally, it's entirely off-topic, but is Milton Keynes as horrid as
it sounds?

Emphatically not! I have a friend who lives in Milton Keynes. He
tells me that when he moved there, it far exceeded his expectations.
That reflects what I had heard from others who have lived there.

Of particular note is that fact that the road system was designed with
the correct capacity for the population density. In the UK that is
hardly the norm.

So... kind of a mini-LA then?

-Miles

--
Circus, n. A place where horses, ponies and elephants are permitted to see
men, women and children acting the fool.
Old July 24th 09, 09:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Jul 24, 12:14*pm, Miles Bader wrote:
1506 writes:
Incidentally, it's entirely off-topic, but is Milton Keynes as horrid as
it sounds?

Emphatically not! *I have a friend who lives in Milton Keynes. *He
tells me that when he moved there, it far exceeded his expectations.
That reflects what I had heard from others who have lived there.

Of particular note is that fact that the road system was designed with
the correct capacity for the population density. *In the UK that is
hardly the norm.

So... kind of a mini-LA then?

:-) Los Angeles was actually built around a transit system, The
Pacific Electric and its poorer cousin, The LA Ry. The Freeways came
later. Uncontrolled expansion of the built up area has meant that the
road infrastructure, at the core, can never keep up.

Old July 25th 09, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:08:35 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

[---]

It's perfectly correct to describe Canadian or
Zambian cheddar as cheddar if it's made the right way

Agreed - the Ozzies in Tasmania have proven that, many times over.

(although plenty of
people refer to cheese made the wrong way as cheddar, notably Americans).

And not just Americans - "Brie" made in Alsace is equally misleading.

This may or may not be a good thing for consumers and/or the people of
West Somerset, but that's the way it is. See also brie, which is no longer
restricted to the Brie region of the Ile de France

My experience has been that unless the stuff comes from Meaux or Melun
(both of which are Briard), then it's not worth eating.
Old July 25th 09, 02:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Paul Terry writes:
Since the late 1960s it became a large new town, with mainly pleasant
domestic suburban architecture, but with a dismal centre and (typical of
the period) a poorly thought-out emphasis on car travel that includes a
totally unnecessary number of roundabouts

It's the latter that I've heard of.

-Miles

--
Cannon, n. An instrument employed in the rectification of national boundaries.