Old October 17th 03, 08:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Shepherd's Bush on the Central Line - another platform?

For the first time ever I entered the Central Line at Shepherd's Bush. Just
before I went down the last set of stairs to the platform, I saw a closed
exit and what looked like a tunnel going across a set of tracks.

As I got down to the eastbound platform, I could see thru the metal grating
what looked like another platform/tunnel but about 6/ feet higher than the
platform I was on. Could see power cables etc.

Any idea what this is?

Thanks,

Old October 17th 03, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:46:34 +0100, "Gerard McGovern"
wrote:

For the first time ever I entered the Central Line at Shepherd's Bush. Just
before I went down the last set of stairs to the platform, I saw a closed
exit and what looked like a tunnel going across a set of tracks.

As I got down to the eastbound platform, I could see thru the metal grating
what looked like another platform/tunnel but about 6/ feet higher than the
platform I was on. Could see power cables etc.

Any idea what this is?

I would hazard a guess that they're the old lift landings. SB/C had
two extra electro-hydraulic lifts added at the rear of the ticket hall
a couple of years after the station first opened.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old October 17th 03, 09:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Gerard McGovern" wrote in message

Any idea what this is?

I asked this same question a couple of years ago. http://tinyurl.com/r9m4

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 17th 03, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

For the first time ever I entered the Central Line at Shepherd's Bush. Just
before I went down the last set of stairs to the platform, I saw a closed
exit and what looked like a tunnel going across a set of tracks.

This is the access to one of the two former lift landings. The other lift landing now serves as a passageway leading to the emergency staircase, which (unusually) are built in part of a former *lift* shaft. The original emergency staircase shaft, and some of the lift shafts, have been severed by the escalator shaft, which runs right through where they used to be.

As I got down to the eastbound platform, I could see thru the metal grating
what looked like another platform/tunnel but about 6/ feet higher than the
platform I was on. Could see power cables etc.
Any idea what this is?

This is a draught-relief heading, which connects to the disused passageway you mentioned initially, and, therefore, to one of the former lift shafts which hasn't been cut through by the escalator shaft.