Old October 19th 03, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Big car owners face tax hike

In article , tim
writes

I think the problem is that before this became an issue not all cars
had the necessary tests done and as modifications were made to
squeeze cars into a lower band, a 1997 car cannot use the 1999
value (and it's unrealistic to go back and test all the earlier cars)

Hmmmm, yes valid point.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Old October 20th 03, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , dave F
writes
I still believe large engine capacity engines and above average car length
vehicles should face an extra tax.

Some over-egging going on here it seems:

"Larger-engined cars produce up to five times more carbon dioxide per
mile than the most fuel-efficient."

But with a free choice of high and low emissions, the best they can do
is:

"The annual duty on a Land Rover Discovery V8, one of the largest
four-wheel-drives, which emits 397 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre
is £160 - only £75 more than for a diesel Renault Clio that emits 110g."

Which is only 3.6x

Meanwhile, I used to have two vehicles: a 700cc Matiz and a 3,000cc
Diesel Mercedes. They both did around 35mpg (with presumably similar co2
emissions). So it's not necessarily related to engine size.

Rail commuters face 20% rise in ticket prices as cap is axed - Evening Standard Bruce[_2_] London Transport 11 October 19th 10 02:34 PM
Major Watford projects face axe as spending slashed burkey[_2_] London Transport 8 June 25th 10 10:38 PM
DLR Fare Hike MIG London Transport 2 January 4th 10 01:56 PM
Question for TomTom owners John Rowland London Transport 3 January 9th 07 01:29 PM
The effects of a road congestion tax Tom Sacold London Transport 77 November 30th 03 02:51 AM