Old October 21st 03, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Normal Northern Line service not resuming this week + pictures

The TFL website states that a normal service on the Northern Line won't be
restored this week. It also has pictures of the damage caused:

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/press...s/0310/21.asp#

The damaged wall is at the junction of the tunnels going to platform 1/3
from the City branch. Think of the tunnel walls as looking at a "V" - the
left-hand arm of the V goes towards CT1, the right-hand arm of the V goes
to CT3. The bottom of the V is the tunnel wall that got hit.

Picture 1 shows the last car and tunnel wall. The tunnel wall is that part
of the tunnel that leads to platform 3. To the left (if you were standing
in the front of the car looking out) is the area of the step plate
junction leading to the junction with the CX branch and platform 1.

It is as if the left hand side of the car hit the "V" of the tunnel wall.
All things considered, the damage to the train looks relevantly light -
I've seen worse from a 5mph collision in depot. The trains are built to
withstand a collision, but more in the form of an end-on collision rather
than a side swipe.

Note shown there (but shown on the intranet) is the photo after the
removal of the car. This shows the location much better, and also shows
the damage to the tunnel wall lower down where (presumably) the coupler
struck the tunnel wall "V".

Roger

Old October 21st 03, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Hey your message has just downloaded the three enlarged pics? I never asked
for them? this isn't a binaries newsgroup, is it? as far as I knew it
wasn't. Hope you ain't placed a trojan on my drive. And thats not a joke Im
deadly serious.

--
regards,
Pre`38 tube [DR]

Old October 21st 03, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:55:25 +0100, Pre-38 wrote:

Hey your message has just downloaded the three enlarged pics? I never asked
for them? this isn't a binaries newsgroup, is it? as far as I knew it
wasn't. Hope you ain't placed a trojan on my drive. And thats not a joke Im
deadly serious.

Must be you, nothing more then the normal text here. There's a post
elsewhere with an image though.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
The TFL website states that a normal service on the Northern Line won't be
restored this week. It also has pictures of the damage caused:

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/press...s/0310/21.asp#

Can't find the picts, have they removed they removed them from the site ?

Old October 22nd 03, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"simon" wrote in message

Can't find the picts, have they removed they removed them from the site ?

They were there last night, but do appear to have been removed

Old October 22nd 03, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (simon)
wrote:

wrote in message
The TFL website states that a normal service on the Northern Line
won't be
restored this week. It also has pictures of the damage caused:

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/press...s/0310/21.asp#

Can't find the picts, have they removed they removed them from the site
?

They seem to have done for some reason. I can e-mail the four to you if
you want - total file size approx. 600k.

Roger
Old October 23rd 03, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Phil Kitchen) wrote:

"simon" wrote in message

Can't find the picts, have they removed they removed them from the
site ?

They were there last night, but do appear to have been removed

The same link (reposted below) shows the pictures agin!