Old October 22nd 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

Can anyone explain why Liverpool Street tube station was closed this morning
(at least for westbound Central Line trains)?

They said it was because of overcrowding, but when I asked Tube staff where
the overcrowding was, they said it was on the Central Line platforms. If
trains don't stop at the platform, how will this ease overcrowding? Surely
it makes things worse.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nicholas F Hodder" wrote the following in:

Can anyone explain why Liverpool Street tube station was closed
this morning (at least for westbound Central Line trains)?

They said it was because of overcrowding, but when I asked Tube
staff where the overcrowding was, they said it was on the Central
Line platforms. If trains don't stop at the platform, how will
this ease overcrowding? Surely it makes things worse.

I caught a Central line train at Liverpool Street this morning. I had
to wait for three to go past before there was one with any space for
extra passengers to get on, and hardly any passengers were getting off.
I'd think that maybe the reason trains weren't stopping there was
because it was a bit of a waste of time.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old October 23rd 03, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:54:33 +0100, "Nicholas F Hodder"
wrote:

Can anyone explain why Liverpool Street tube station was closed this morning
(at least for westbound Central Line trains)?

They said it was because of overcrowding, but when I asked Tube staff where
the overcrowding was, they said it was on the Central Line platforms. If
trains don't stop at the platform, how will this ease overcrowding? Surely
it makes things worse.

I think that a number of routes are under pressure because of the
Northern Line problems and the Vic Line was seriously disrupted at
Oxford Circus yesterday. Liverpool St was closed temporarily to people
entering it. The platforms would be full and believe me when platforms
get completely full the last thing you want is more people trying to
push onto them while others are trying to get off.

The risks are - people may fall off the platform or be pushed / fall
under a train. Also people may just be crushed by the crowd and small
children may get trampled. Finally if the congestion became too severe
you get people blocked back to the escalators thus preventing people
from leaving them thus resulting in a pile up of people on the
escalator.

Therefore the staff would stop people entering the station until trains
had cleared the backlog and then people would be allowed back in in a
controlled fashion. Happens every single day at Victoria because it is
just too small for the huge volumes of people using the station.
--
Paul C

Old October 23rd 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Can anyone explain why Liverpool Street tube station was closed this

morning
(at least for westbound Central Line trains)?

They said it was because of overcrowding, but when I asked Tube staff

where
the overcrowding was, they said it was on the Central Line platforms. If
trains don't stop at the platform, how will this ease overcrowding?

Surely
it makes things worse.

I think that a number of routes are under pressure because of the
Northern Line problems and the Vic Line was seriously disrupted at
Oxford Circus yesterday. Liverpool St was closed temporarily to people
entering it. The platforms would be full and believe me when platforms
get completely full the last thing you want is more people trying to
push onto them while others are trying to get off.

How can others get off if the trains don't stop to let anyone get off?

The risks are - people may fall off the platform or be pushed / fall
under a train. Also people may just be crushed by the crowd and small
children may get trampled. Finally if the congestion became too severe
you get people blocked back to the escalators thus preventing people
from leaving them thus resulting in a pile up of people on the
escalator.

Therefore the staff would stop people entering the station until trains
had cleared the backlog and then people would be allowed back in in a

How can the trains clear the backlog if they are going through the station
without stopping?

Old October 23rd 03, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Can anyone explain why Liverpool Street tube station was closed
this morning (at least for westbound Central Line trains)?

They said it was because of overcrowding, but when I asked Tube
staff where the overcrowding was, they said it was on the Central
Line platforms. If trains don't stop at the platform, how will
this ease overcrowding? Surely it makes things worse.

I think that a number of routes are under pressure because of the
Northern Line problems and the Vic Line was seriously disrupted at
Oxford Circus yesterday. Liverpool St was closed temporarily to
people entering it. The platforms would be full and believe me when
platforms get completely full the last thing you want is more people
trying to
push onto them while others are trying to get off.

How can others get off if the trains don't stop to let anyone get off?

They *were* stopping, probably. Did someone tell you they weren't, or did
you infer that (incorrectly) from the fact that the station was closed to
people entering it?
--
Richard J.

Old October 23rd 03, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:51:15 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote in :

The risks are - people may fall off the platform or be pushed / fall
under a train.

BTDTGTTS one morning at Finsbury Park; had to let three crowded
trains pass before there was room on the fourth, all the while feeling the
pressure of the crowd behind. Not fun as I'm scared of heights, and being
at the cutting edge of the platform is enough to drag out the phobias.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old October 23rd 03, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Announcements at Bethnal Green, both by station staff and several train
drivers, stated clearly that trains were not stopping at Liverpool Street
because of "overcrowding". I had to wait until the 4th or 5th train before
there was space for me to get on, and just before my train got to Liverpool
Street, the driver announced that the train would be stopping at Liverpool
Street after all, as the station had reopened. When I got out at Liverpool
Street, I asked some Tube staff at surface level where the overcrowding had
been that had necessitated the station's "closure", and he replied that it
was on the Central Line platforms. I do not understand how not letting
trains stop will ease existing overcrowding on the platforms, hence the
reason for my original question.

Old October 24th 03, 12:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:27:26 +0000, Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:
BTDTGTTS one morning at Finsbury Park; had to let three crowded

BTDTGTTS?
Old October 24th 03, 12:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Weaver wrote:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:27:26 +0000, Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:
BTDTGTTS one morning at Finsbury Park; had to let three crowded

BTDTGTTS?

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Niklas
--
Who is this Time Being and why are people always doing things for him/her?
Old October 24th 03, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:43:47 +0100, "Nicholas F Hodder"
wrote:

[big snip]
How can the trains clear the backlog if they are going through the station
without stopping?

of course the trains were stopping. They just weren't letting anyone
*into* the station. That way the queue on the platform is progressively
cleared. The station was only closed for 6 minutes according to the
report that I read.

HTH
--
Paul C