Old October 24th 03, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line - partial resumption of service

from:

http://www.tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/p...es/0310/24.asp

London Underground today announced plans for a partial restoration of
Northern line services from Monday (October 27).

Engineers have been working around the clock to repair damage to
signal and track equipment caused by last Sunday’s derailment. Tube
services through Camden Town have been suspended since the incident.

Subject to satisfactory safety checks over the weekend, on Monday
trains will run through Camden Town from the Edgware branch of the
line. These would ALL run via Charing Cross and at a reduced
frequency.

The line will remain suspended between East Finchley and Euston for a
short while longer.

--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Old October 27th 03, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Robert Woolley) wrote:

from:

http://www.tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/p...es/0310/24.asp

London Underground today announced plans for a partial restoration of
Northern line services from Monday (October 27).

Engineers have been working around the clock to repair damage to
signal and track equipment caused by last Sunday’s derailment. Tube
services through Camden Town have been suspended since the incident.

Subject to satisfactory safety checks over the weekend, on Monday
trains will run through Camden Town from the Edgware branch of the
line. These would ALL run via Charing Cross and at a reduced
frequency.

The line will remain suspended between East Finchley and Euston for a
short while longer.

--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Now delayed - part extract below:

http://www.tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/p...es/0310/26.asp

"Northern line services remain suspended on Monday
London Underground today apologised to Northern Line passengers as it
advised that Northern line services would remain suspended between Golders
Green and Charing Cross and East Finchley and Euston on Monday (October
27).
Northern line services will, therefore, operate as follows on Monday:

Edgware – Golders Green;
High Barnet – East Finchley;
Mill Hill East – Finchley Central;
Euston – Morden via Bank;
Charing Cross – Morden.
Replacement bus services will continue to operate as follows:

Service A – Golders Green to Finchley Road to connect with Metropolitan
and Jubilee line services;
Service B – Golders Green to Mornington Crescent all stations, then
non-stop to Warren Street (no stop at Euston);
Service C – East Finchley to Euston all stations;
Service D – East Finchley to Bounds Green to connect with Piccadilly line
services.
Bus services A and D are the fastest routes into central London.

Tube Lines engineers have been working around the clock but need more time
to restore the line to a safe condition. Tracing the damaged signal
cables, some of which have not been replaced for decades, back to the
Northern line control centre is taking longer than originally predicted.

Services through Camden Town have been suspended since last Sunday’s
derailment.

London Underground Managing Director Tim O’Toole said: “I’m sorry to
advise passengers that Northern line services will not be restored through
Camden Town on Monday.

“I hope to have better news for passengers soon, but I do not intend to
make any further predications until I have been advised by our engineers
when we can definitely restore services.

“Signalling and track equipment in the area has been badly damaged and
will take some time to repair fully. We cannot run trains through the area
until the necessary safety checks have been satisfactorily completed.”

Investigations continue to establish the exact cause of the derailment.
London Underground published some initial findings on Friday (October 24)
and expect to publish an interim report towards the end of November.

A special safety conference will be held on Tuesday (October 28) where
London Underground, Metronet and Tube Lines managers will discuss safety
issues with Trades Union representatives."

Roger
Old October 27th 03, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article ,
(Robert Woolley) wrote:

from:
http://www.tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/p...es/0310/24.asp

London Underground today announced plans for a partial restoration of
Northern line services from Monday (October 27).

snip

Now delayed - part extract below:

http://www.tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/p...es/0310/26.asp

snip

Investigations continue to establish the exact cause of the
derailment. London Underground published some initial findings on
Friday (October 24) and expect to publish an interim report towards
the end of November.

The initial findings are at
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/press...p#investgation
I found it useful to have available also the diagram of the junction, which
is in John Rowland's site at
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...9/ltcamden.jpg

It seems there is no simple explanation so far. The points appeared to be
OK after maintenance the previous night, and the train was being driven
correctly within the 20 mph speed limit, yet the leading bogie of the last
(6th) car derailed. "It is clear that the derailment occurred because the
balance between the downward force and the outward force on the left wheel
of the set went outside of the tolerable range", but they have still to find
out why this occurred.
--
Richard J.