Old October 27th 03, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default level crosings on the LUL

I can't think of one nearer than Barnes, specifically where Vine Road
crosses the Hounslow loop west of Barnes station. That's 9.6 km (6 miles)
from Charing Cross.

But I have a feeling this is a trick question :-)
--
Richard J.

I don't think it is a trick question, Richard, but it is definitely nearer than
Barnes. In fact, it's within the Zone 2 Travelcard area.

Marc.

Old October 27th 03, 11:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message
I can't think of one nearer than Barnes, specifically where Vine Road
crosses the Hounslow loop west of Barnes station. That's 9.6 km (6

miles)
from Charing Cross.

But I have a feeling this is a trick question :-)
--
Richard J.

I don't think it is a trick question, Richard, but it is definitely nearer

than
Barnes. In fact, it's within the Zone 2 Travelcard area.

Is it one of level crossings by the West London Line at Willesden? I
vaguely remember there's one on the West London line itself just after it
leaves the WCML, and another in the Eurostar depot at North Pole. However,
as to whether these are nearer than Barnes and actually inside zone 2 I
don't know. I'm probably imagining their presence anyway.

Angus

Old October 28th 03, 12:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message
I can't think of one nearer than Barnes, specifically where Vine Road
crosses the Hounslow loop west of Barnes station. That's 9.6 km (6 miles)
from Charing Cross.

But I have a feeling this is a trick question :-)
--
Richard J.

I don't think it is a trick question, Richard, but it is definitely nearer

than
Barnes. In fact, it's within the Zone 2 Travelcard area.

There is a level crossing just north of Acton Central on the NLL which is in
zone 2 although I am not sure if it is any closer than Barnes.

Peter Smyth

Old October 28th 03, 07:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Mait001
writes
I don't think it is a trick question, Richard, but it is definitely nearer than
Barnes. In fact, it's within the Zone 2 Travelcard area.

Mitre Bridge, crossed by the Rugby/Watford to South Coast trains?

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old October 28th 03, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article m,
says...
There used to be a level crossing on the Central Line somewhere on the
eastern section around Leyton. But it was closed to road traffic (the road
was turned into two cul-de-sacs [1]) many decades ago. I can't remember the
details now.

[1] culs-de-sac?

Are you thinking of Eagle Lane, Snaresbrook?

Old October 28th 03, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"Mait001" wrote in message
I can't think of one nearer than Barnes, specifically where Vine Road
crosses the Hounslow loop west of Barnes station. That's 9.6 km (6 miles)
from Charing Cross.

But I have a feeling this is a trick question :-)
--
Richard J.

I don't think it is a trick question, Richard, but it is definitely nearer

than
Barnes. In fact, it's within the Zone 2 Travelcard area.

There is a level crossing just north of Acton Central on the NLL which is in
zone 2 although I am not sure if it is any closer than Barnes.

There's another two just south of South Acton, one on the NLL, one on
the freight curve that connects the NLL to the Hounslow loop line.
For road users both these crossings are on Bollo Lane.

However, Barnes is closer to CX than Acton.

Robin

Old October 28th 03, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Angus Bryant" wrote in message ...
Is it one of level crossings by the West London Line at Willesden? I
vaguely remember there's one on the West London line itself just after it
leaves the WCML, and another in the Eurostar depot at North Pole. However,
as to whether these are nearer than Barnes and actually inside zone 2 I
don't know. I'm probably imagining their presence anyway.

I reckon the answer is "Mitre Bridge", just south of Willesden. The
passenger service would be the one from Kensington Olympia to the
Great Western Main Line at Acton (or vice versa).

PhilD

Old October 28th 03, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"IanB" k wrote in message ...

This got me thinking,
are there any level crossings on the London Underground
(surface lines, obviously). National Rail also have barrow
crossings and pedestrian footpath (and at least one shared
footpath/cyclepath) crossings at rail level but is there
anything similar on the L.U. (including shared Nat. Rail
sections)?

There was one on the Ongar branch, at North Weald station. The road
was only a farm track but the manually opperated gates were
interlocked with the semaphore signalling for the passing loop.
Because of this crossing I have heard it was still necessary to man
the North Weald signal-box for quite some time after the passing loop
was taken out of use (from memory, autumn 1976) - for some reason the
signalling could not immediately be switched out or decommissioned.

Other level crossings on the Loughton/Epping branch were replaced with
flyovers or underpasses, presumably in the 1950s.
Old October 28th 03, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Is it one of level crossings by the West London Line at Willesden? I
vaguely remember there's one on the West London line itself just after it
leaves the WCML, and another in the Eurostar depot at North Pole. However,
as to whether these are nearer than Barnes and actually inside zone 2 I
don't know. I'm probably imagining their presence anyway.

Angus

Well remembered, Angus - that's the exact one I had in mind: I only
"discovered" it myself recently when en route from Clapham Junction to Watford
on the W.L.L.

This is within the Zone 2 bondary as far as I can make out, since both Olympia
and Willesden, the stations either side, are.

Marc.

Level Crossings Joe London Transport 5 April 3rd 05 01:39 PM
Delays expected as work on level crossing begins burkey London Transport 2 March 4th 05 04:58 PM
Putting roof-level railways underground? Michael Bell London Transport 17 December 30th 04 05:38 PM
London's busiest level crossing? [email protected] London Transport 37 December 18th 04 10:36 PM
Level Crossings on busy lines Richard J. London Transport 15 April 26th 04 01:57 PM