Old October 27th 03, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default level crosings on the LUL

A recent thread on a related newsgroup talked about the
Croxley Green branch which has been "cut" by what is
commonly referred to as the "Watford bypass" but which I
believe is just an access road to an industrial estate If
so then a level crossing should easily cope with the rail
and road traffic. The thread went on to mention the
proposal for LUL to take over this branch to run the Met
into Watford High Street/Junction. This got me thinking,
are there any level crossings on the London Underground
(surface lines, obviously). National Rail also have barrow
crossings and pedestrian footpath (and at least one shared
footpath/cyclepath) crossings at rail level but is there
anything similar on the L.U. (including shared Nat. Rail
sections)?
--
IanB

n.b. Please respond via n.g. (I subscribe to two large
newsgroups so I may be running a few days behind on reading
threads).
You may need to zzremove snooze mode or switch my names
about (nodot nospace (nodot nospace) to reply direct

Old October 27th 03, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , IanB
k writes
A recent thread on a related newsgroup talked about the
Croxley Green branch which has been "cut" by what is
commonly referred to as the "Watford bypass" but which I
believe is just an access road to an industrial estate If
so then a level crossing should easily cope with the rail
and road traffic. The thread went on to mention the
proposal for LUL to take over this branch to run the Met
into Watford High Street/Junction. This got me thinking,
are there any level crossings on the London Underground
(surface lines, obviously). National Rail also have barrow
crossings and pedestrian footpath (and at least one shared
footpath/cyclepath) crossings at rail level but is there
anything similar on the L.U. (including shared Nat. Rail
sections)?

Quail shows a level crossing inside Neasden depot, but I don't think
there are any 'proper crossings' on the main running lines, though
googling shows that there was at least one pedestrian crossing, at North
Weald station on the (now closed) Ongar branch.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old October 27th 03, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"IanB" k wrote in message
A recent thread on a related newsgroup talked about the
Croxley Green branch which has been "cut" by what is
commonly referred to as the "Watford bypass" but which I
believe is just an access road to an industrial estate If
so then a level crossing should easily cope with the rail
and road traffic. The thread went on to mention the
proposal for LUL to take over this branch to run the Met
into Watford High Street/Junction. This got me thinking,
are there any level crossings on the London Underground
(surface lines, obviously). National Rail also have barrow
crossings and pedestrian footpath (and at least one shared
footpath/cyclepath) crossings at rail level but is there
anything similar on the L.U. (including shared Nat. Rail
sections)?
--
IanB

What about the pedestrian footpath that crosses the line just beyond
Amersham? Although no LU trains run up there, the line is managed by LU, so
I suppose it counts?

Daniel.

Old October 27th 03, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Heliomass" wrote in message
"IanB" k wrote in message
[...]

There used to be a level crossing on the Central Line somewhere on the
eastern section around Leyton. But it was closed to road traffic (the road
was turned into two cul-de-sacs [1]) many decades ago. I can't remember the
details now.

[1] culs-de-sac?

Old October 27th 03, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Here's a poser for the real aficianodos on this group: where in London is the
closest level crossing (surface rail or Underground line) to Charing Cross (the
traditional place from which Central London distances are measured)?

I know the answer, but it may surprise some of you.

If the correct answer doesn't appear by this time tomorrow, I will post it
myself. Sorry no prizes for the correct answer....

Marc.

Old October 27th 03, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message
Here's a poser for the real aficianodos on this group: where in London is

the
closest level crossing (surface rail or Underground line) to Charing Cross

(the
traditional place from which Central London distances are measured)?

I know the answer, but it may surprise some of you.

If the correct answer doesn't appear by this time tomorrow, I will post it
myself. Sorry no prizes for the correct answer....

Hmm! Well the Charing Cross - Waterloo East - London Bridge line is on
viaducts for some considerable distance beyond London Bridge, isn't it. And
so's the main line out of Waterloo as far as Clapham Junction at least, as
is the line out of Victoria as far as Clapham Junction. I wonder if any of
the maze of lines around Battersea, north east of Clapham Junction,
especially those below the Victoria and Waterloo lines, cross a minor road
on the level? Could there be any access roads to the sheds between the two
halves of Clapham Junction that cross either of the lines? Obviously there
are the two crossings at Barnes on the Windsor (Reading) lines, but I bet
there are crossings much closer than that.

What about the Thameslink line? Underground from north of St Pancras to
Blackfriars and then above the Embankment roads to south of the river. Not
sure what it does then, but I don't recall any level crossings.

Are we including non-passenger sidings (eg those around Stewart's Lane
depot)? That's well below the lines from Victoria, so there could be scope
for a level crossing there.

What about London Underground lines? Surely none of them could have
subterranean level crossings on them. The Circle line is the only one round
there that is close to ground level (it's underground but only just, whereas
the rest of the lines are deep).

Are we definitely talking about a public road rather than a private access
road on railway land?

Old October 27th 03, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mait001 wrote:
Here's a poser for the real aficianodos on this group: where in
London is the closest level crossing (surface rail or Underground
line) to Charing Cross (the traditional place from which Central
London distances are measured)?

I know the answer, but it may surprise some of you.

If the correct answer doesn't appear by this time tomorrow, I will
post it myself. Sorry no prizes for the correct answer....

I can't think of one nearer than Barnes, specifically where Vine Road
crosses the Hounslow loop west of Barnes station. That's 9.6 km (6 miles)
from Charing Cross.

But I have a feeling this is a trick question :-)
--
Richard J.

Old October 27th 03, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sorry, Rob - have another go!

Marc.
Old October 27th 03, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Are we including non-passenger sidings (eg those around Stewart's Lane
depot)? That's well below the lines from Victoria, so there could be scope
for a level crossing there.

No, I'm asking about a line that has regular passenger services.

What about London Underground lines? Surely none of them could have
subterranean level crossings on them.

No, the one I'm thinking of is open to the Gods.

Are we definitely talking about a public road rather than a private access
road on railway land?

I define "level crossing" as a place where traffic has to stop to allow trains
to pass, complete with barriers, flashing lights etc.

Marc.

Level Crossings Joe London Transport 5 April 3rd 05 02:39 PM
Delays expected as work on level crossing begins burkey London Transport 2 March 4th 05 05:58 PM
Putting roof-level railways underground? Michael Bell London Transport 17 December 30th 04 06:38 PM
London's busiest level crossing? [email protected] London Transport 37 December 18th 04 11:36 PM
Level Crossings on busy lines Richard J. London Transport 15 April 26th 04 02:57 PM