Old October 27th 03, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default tourist question re walking in London

Hi,

I'll be visiting London for the first time and, as such, can't gauge
what's walkable. This will determine whether I need to pick up 7-day
Travel Cards or just work with day offpeaks. I'm a decent walker, but
not ready for primetime marathon walking.

I'll be staying in Victoria Station. So far it doesn't look like I'll
be sightseeing out of Zone 1 except for several sidetrips that
wouldn't be covered by a Travel Card, anyway.

I'm trying to find out what's walkable. For example, (1) can I walk
from Victoria Station to Trafalgar Square, stop/rest/eat, and then
walk through Picadilly/St James, Hyde Park Corner to return to VicSta?
(2) Can I walk from VicSta to and through Hyde Park and Kensington
Gardens down to Albert Hall, then back to VicSta as a day's walk, with
rest stops? (3) How about from the Strand through the Inns of Court to
the British Library?

I'm from New York City and am very familiar with Paris, so if it's
easier to juxtapose the walks I asked about to similar distances in
these two cities, that would also be very helpful.

Many thanks for any help.

Bonnie

Old October 27th 03, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"clio22" wrote in message
om...
[...]

All of the above sound quite walkable. I suggest you check out this website:

www.multimap.com

I have zoomed in on Victoria station, if you can fit this URL in your
browser:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...up.x=11&up.y=1

As a guide, the distance between Victoria Staion and Green Park underground
station is a 20 minute leisurely walk.

Tube stations are typically placed 1/2 to 1 mile apart, the spacing varies
much more than in other countries. But suffice to say, doing about 5 stops
takes around an hour, if that helps?

Many thanks for any help.

Bonnie

Old October 27th 03, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I'll be visiting London for the first time and, as such, can't gauge
what's walkable. This will determine whether I need to pick up 7-day
Travel Cards or just work with day offpeaks. I'm a decent walker,

but
not ready for primetime marathon walking.

[..snip..]

You will be fine with all of the examples you gave and indeed might be
surprised how little time they take to walk. From the Albert Hall
right across zone 1 to the Tower Of London on the other side is
probably less than five miles.

Old October 27th 03, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(clio22) wrote the following in:
om

Hi,

I'll be visiting London for the first time and, as such, can't
gauge what's walkable. This will determine whether I need to pick
up 7-day Travel Cards or just work with day offpeaks. I'm a decent
walker, but not ready for primetime marathon walking.

You could probably do the walks you've mentioned fairly easily. If you
had an off day though and didn't feel like walking that much it could
get to be fairly tiring, and if it rained you'd probably wish you could
just get on a bus or train. I'd recommend buying a weekly zone 1
travelcard because it won't be all that pricy and it means that if you
don't feel like walking you have a quicker and lazier alternative. If
you don't want to catch the train (understandable because the tube
means you end up with a mental map of London as a group of seemingly
unconnected islands centred around tube stations) you could use your
ticket on buses as well. Alternatively you could buy one day bus passes
from the bus ticket machines at stations in central London.

On a related note, the Docklands Light Railway is worth a ride on even
if you don't actually need to go anywhere on it. You can sit at the
front of the train and look out (the trains are controlled
automatically without a driver) and it's almost all above ground. You
get some very good views and it's generally quite fun. I know lots of
people who have enjoyed riding on it despite having no particular
interest in trains or public transport.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old October 27th 03, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

clio22 wrote:
[..]

For example, (1) can I walk from Victoria Station to Trafalgar
Square, stop/rest/eat, and then walk through Picadilly/St James,
Hyde Park Corner to return to VicSta?

The transport authority for London (Transport for London or TfL) has a
Journey Planner which you can use to plan walking trips. It doesn't seem to
like requests for a "via" point in the middle of a walk, so you would have
to submit each section as a journey.

Go to
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en

Enter your start and finish points. You can use station names such as
Victoria, or you can select a Place of Interest such as Trafalgar Square or
Houses of Parliament. Click on More Options and clear the ticks from all
Means of Transport (Rail services etc.). This will force it to offer
walking routes only. Change the walking speed from Average to Fast if your
walking speed is 20 minutes per mile, and set maximum walking time to, say,
60 minutes. Then click on Submit.

You will get an estimated time for the walk. If you click on Show These
Route Details, and then click on Start Map and/or End Map, you will get a
detailed street map (.pdf file) showing the recommended route.

(2) Can I walk from VicSta to and through Hyde Park and Kensington
Gardens down to Albert Hall, then back to VicSta as a day's walk, with
rest stops? (3) How about from the Strand through the Inns of Court to
the British Library?

I'm from New York City and am very familiar with Paris, so if it's
easier to juxtapose the walks I asked about to similar distances in
these two cities, that would also be very helpful.

Victoria to the Royal Albert Hall via Hyde Park Corner is about the same
distance as from the Arc de Triomphe to the Louvre (straight down the
Champs-Elysées and through the Tuileries Gardens). Strand (Aldwych) to the
British Library is a similar distance.
--
Richard J.

Old October 28th 03, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(clio22) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Thanks so much for all your help. Your responses were particularly
helpful to me in gauging distance and deciding upon tickets. The
reminders about rain and getting tired were good thoughts since I had
quite lost track of both, being so absorbed in trying to calculate
walking distance. And the fact that the DLR is largely above ground is
new information to me, for which I thank you.

This was just wonderful and perfect help. Thank you again.

Bonnie
Old October 28th 03, 10:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...
clio22 wrote:
[..]

[...]

This Paris comparison proved to be even more useful than I realized.
It's just terrific! It gives me a much better grasp now when I look at
a London map.

Not only didn't I realize that the Journey Planner plotted walks, but
I didn't know it gave the times for the same. This is especially
helpful also.

Merci beaucoup, Richard!

Old October 28th 03, 06:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Oct 2003 12:04:56 -0800, (clio22) wrote:

Hi,

I'll be visiting London for the first time and, as such, can't gauge
what's walkable. This will determine whether I need to pick up 7-day
Travel Cards or just work with day offpeaks. I'm a decent walker, but
not ready for primetime marathon walking.

I'll be staying in Victoria Station. So far it doesn't look like I'll
be sightseeing out of Zone 1 except for several sidetrips that
wouldn't be covered by a Travel Card, anyway.

You can get walking maps for Central London from TfL Travel Information
Centres - there is one at Victoria Station beside one of the main
entrances to the Main Line Station. The maps show all the interesting
buildings and show designated walking routes.

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk...ing/home.shtml might be
a place to start!

I'm trying to find out what's walkable. For example, (1) can I walk
from Victoria Station to Trafalgar Square, stop/rest/eat, and then
walk through Picadilly/St James, Hyde Park Corner to return to VicSta?

no problem whatsoever. Lots of parkland and interesting sites to look
at. I often walk between two offices at St James Park and Leicester Sq -
takes 20-25 mins and I'm not a very fast walker. As you're a visitor you
can amble along and enjoy the vistas - St James Park, The Mall,
Buckingham Palace, Horseguards Parade, Admiralty Arch, Trafalgar Square.

(2) Can I walk from VicSta to and through Hyde Park and Kensington
Gardens down to Albert Hall, then back to VicSta as a day's walk, with
rest stops?

no problem.

(3) How about from the Strand through the Inns of Court to
the British Library?

No problem at all.

I'm from New York City and am very familiar with Paris, so if it's
easier to juxtapose the walks I asked about to similar distances in
these two cities, that would also be very helpful.

Well I suppose Victoria to Trafalgar Square might be equivalent to 34th
Street to Greenwich Village or possibly Jardin de Tuileries to 2/3s of
the way up the Champs Elysees. Just a lot more scenic in London :-)

HTH.
--
Paul C

Old October 29th 03, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , clio22
writes
Hi,

I'll be visiting London for the first time and, as such, can't gauge
what's walkable. This will determine whether I need to pick up 7-day
Travel Cards or just work with day offpeaks. I'm a decent walker, but
not ready for primetime marathon walking.

Just as an aside to the helpful information you've already been given:

Walking is often the *best* way of seeing places. Indeed, I'd
recommend it as something far too few visitors do. You can plan some
delightful walks where you'll see far more than you would on the
Underground (obviously!).

Buy a book of "Saver" tickets for the buses (not valid on the
Underground). They cost GBP3.90 for six rides (valid indefinitely),
working out at 65p per ride, where the cash fare is GBP1. That way, if
you feel a bit tired or simply want to walk one way and bus it another,
you can just hop on the bus (which is *almost* as good as walking when
it comes to sightseeing, especially if you go upstairs!).

If you're familiar with Paris, they're the London Bus equivalent of the
Carnet.

Let's look at some examples:

I'm trying to find out what's walkable. For example, (1) can I walk
from Victoria Station to Trafalgar Square, stop/rest/eat, and then
walk through Picadilly/St James, Hyde Park Corner to return to VicSta?

Yes and what a splendid walk that would be. You'll pass Westminster
Abbey, the Houses of Parliament, Whitehall (and Downing Street), Saint
James's Palace and Buckingham Palace, the latter only passable on foot.

(2) Can I walk from VicSta to and through Hyde Park and Kensington
Gardens down to Albert Hall, then back to VicSta as a day's walk, with
rest stops?

Even at a leisurely pace, that shouldn't fill a whole day. Unless, of
course, you get caught in the Museums at South Kensington, in which case
allow, oh a lifetime should suffice!

(3) How about from the Strand through the Inns of Court to
the British Library?

Less exciting than some.#

Instead try The Strand, along Fleet Street, via the Temple and into The
City (what Londoner's call "The City" is the "Square Mile" of the
ancient City of London, nowadays the capital's Financial District.
Here you'll find Saint Paul's Cathedral, a vast array of Churches and -
just beyond the boundary - the Tower of London.

The South Bank of the Thames is another interesting walk, from Southwark
via Tate Modern and the London Eye to Westminster Bridge.

I'm from New York City and am very familiar with Paris,

They're probably the only other two true "World Cities", so you need to
complete the set!

Have a very pleasant visit!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for