Old October 30th 03, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail: Paddington reversers

In the thread "Crossrail preferred route" earlier this month, I raised the
question of what happens to the 6 tph westbound after 12 tph go to Richmond
(of which 4 tph continue to Kingston) and 6 tph go to Heathrow. At the
exhibition in Paddington Library this week, a Crossrail representative said
that the remaining 6 tph would terminate at Paddington. They would then run
empty up to the surface where some reversing sidings would be provided.

The Crossrail station at Paddington will have only 2 platforms. This means
that in the peak 24 tph westbound service, every fourth train will have to
be emptied on the sole westbound track, presumably with tube-style positive
checks that each of the 10 cars is empty, before proceeding to the sidings.
Is this practicable when the service interval is 2.5 minutes? The only
similar situation on LU that I can think of is at Rayners Lane, but I think
that the combined Piccadilly/Metropolitan frequency there is not as
demanding. Are there any other examples of trains in a frequent service
being terminated on the same track as following through services?
--
Richard J.

Old October 30th 03, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

In the thread "Crossrail preferred route" earlier this month,
I raised the question of what happens to the 6 tph westbound
after 12 tph go to Richmond (of which 4 tph continue to
Kingston) and 6 tph go to Heathrow. At the exhibition in
Paddington Library this week, a Crossrail representative
said that the remaining 6 tph would terminate at Paddington.

They are saying that, but I don't think they mean it.

They would then run empty up to the surface
where some reversing sidings would be provided.

Are there any other examples of trains in a frequent service
being terminated on the same track as following through services?

Central Line at Liverpool Street (where an incompletely cleared train was
responsible for a fatality a few years back, but I don't know what the
frequency was at the hour of the fatality).
Bakerloo at Queens Park.
Kennington Charing Cross branch.
Somewhere on the Jubilee.... Willesden Green, I think.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 30th 03, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Richard J." wrote in message

In the thread "Crossrail preferred route" earlier this month,
I raised the question of what happens to the 6 tph westbound
after 12 tph go to Richmond (of which 4 tph continue to
Kingston) and 6 tph go to Heathrow. At the exhibition in
Paddington Library this week, a Crossrail representative
said that the remaining 6 tph would terminate at Paddington.

They are saying that, but I don't think they mean it.

They expressed doubts about the cost-benefit of extending to, say, Slough.
Although this makes the line unbalanced, it supports the regeneration
projects in the east.

They would then run empty up to the surface
where some reversing sidings would be provided.

Are there any other examples of trains in a frequent service
being terminated on the same track as following through services?

Central Line at Liverpool Street (where an incompletely cleared train was
responsible for a fatality a few years back, but I don't know what the
frequency was at the hour of the fatality).
Bakerloo at Queens Park.
Kennington Charing Cross branch.
Somewhere on the Jubilee.... Willesden Green, I think.

Thanks. Was it the Liverpool Street fatality that led to the current rules
about checking every car? And were the Central & Bakerloo timetables
altered to allow for the longer dwell time when tipping out?
--
Richard J.

Old October 31st 03, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
dan dan is offline

Central Line at Liverpool Street (where an incompletely cleared train was
responsible for a fatality a few years back, but I don't know what the
frequency was at the hour of the fatality).

What on earth happened? how did an incompletely cleared train lead to a death?
Old October 31st 03, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"dan" wrote in message
om...
Central Line at Liverpool Street (where an incompletely cleared train

was
responsible for a fatality a few years back, but I don't know what the
frequency was at the hour of the fatality).

What on earth happened? how did an incompletely cleared train lead to a

death?

The Tube driver killed him?

Old October 31st 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

Central Line at Liverpool Street (where an incompletely cleared train was
responsible for a fatality a few years back, but I don't know what the
frequency was at the hour of the fatality).
Bakerloo at Queens Park.
Kennington Charing Cross branch.
Somewhere on the Jubilee.... Willesden Green, I think.

wasn't it between 28tph and 33tph

Old October 31st 03, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Rob Rob is offline

"Ed Crowley" wrote in message
.. .

"dan" wrote in message
om...
Central Line at Liverpool Street (where an incompletely cleared

train
was
responsible for a fatality a few years back, but I don't know what

the
frequency was at the hour of the fatality).

What on earth happened? how did an incompletely cleared train lead to a

death?

The Tube driver killed him?

As was the practice on lul, trains that were going to sidings and comeing
back out again was an anouncement over the trains PA. at liverpool st the
drive made the anouncement and after he thought the train was emptied he
closed the doors went into the siding. on the way into the siding a bloke on
train woke up and tried to leave the train by jumping out between the
carridges onto the platform. but he mistimed it and jumped out into the
tunnel. hit the wall and fell under the last carridge. now all trains have
to be manually check before reversings via sidings.

Old October 31st 03, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rob" wrote in message

"Ed Crowley" wrote in message
.. .

"dan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

What a pillock. He could have used the alarm! The gene pool is the real
winner here.

Old October 31st 03, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default That Liverpoool Street fatality a few years ago (was Crossrail: Paddington reversers)

"Rob" wrote in message

As was the practice on lul, trains that were going to
sidings and comeing back out again was an anouncement
over the trains PA. at liverpool st the drive made the
anouncement and after he thought the train was emptied he
closed the doors went into the siding. on the way into the
siding a bloke on train woke up and tried to leave the train
by jumping out between the carridges onto the platform.

I don't remember it like that... ISTR he was just walking through the train
to the driver, but as he was passing between two carriages the train went
around an extreme curve to enter the sidings between the running lines, and
he fell between the carriages.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 31st 03, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rob" wrote in message

As was the practice on lul, trains that were going to
sidings and comeing back out again was an anouncement
over the trains PA. at liverpool st the drive made the
anouncement and after he thought the train was emptied he
closed the doors went into the siding. on the way into the
siding a bloke on train woke up and tried to leave the train
by jumping out between the carridges onto the platform.

I don't remember it like that... ISTR he was just walking through the

train
to the driver, but as he was passing between two carriages the train went
around an extreme curve to enter the sidings between the running lines,

and
he fell between the carriages.

That is the version we were told during training (plus the gory details)
And as for someone's comment about the gene-pool, IIRC the young man was a
medical student.

Kat