Old October 25th 09, 06:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

Buddenbrooks wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:38:39 on Sun, 25
I disagree on two levels.

?? How can where you live be anything other than a lifestyle choice ?

It can be forced by other factors.

Soldiers don't get a choice, neither do certain other public employees
in the UK.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.

Old October 25th 09, 06:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"William Black" wrote in message

It can be forced by other factors.

Soldiers don't get a choice, neither do certain other public employees in
the UK.

Job is generally a lifestyle choice.

Most soldiers I know actually have a private house which will be home once
they cease to be soldiers. Sufficiently common for
special housing law to exist for them to gain vacant possession if they rent
it out.

Old October 25th 09, 07:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Buddenbrooks wrote:

"William Black" wrote in message

It can be forced by other factors.

Soldiers don't get a choice, neither do certain other public
employees in the UK.

Job is generally a lifestyle choice.

Most soldiers I know actually have a private house which will be home
once they cease to be soldiers.

That's a very 'US centric' state of afairs.

Most of the world's soldiers don't earn enough to own a house

Old October 25th 09, 08:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:01:26 -0000, "Buddenbrooks"
wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:38:39 on Sun, 25
I disagree on two levels.

?? How can where you live be anything other than a lifestyle choice ?

I have to live within quick and easy reach of a particular hospital, a
national centre of excellence in a particular field of medicine, which
dictates a small area in which I have no realistic option but to live.
Otherwise, I would have chosen to live elsewhere.

Old October 25th 09, 08:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"William Black" wrote in message

That's a very 'US centric' state of afairs.

Most of the world's soldiers don't earn enough to own a house

This is a uk newsgroup discussing transport, mainly within the uk, so I do
not have an issue with a UK centric comment.
British soldiers can consider buying and renting out a house with a view to
using it when they leave the services.

Old October 25th 09, 08:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:01:26 -0000, "Buddenbrooks"

I have to live within quick and easy reach of a particular hospital, a
national centre of excellence in a particular field of medicine, which
dictates a small area in which I have no realistic option but to live.
Otherwise, I would have chosen to live elsewhere.

OK, there are a few individuals who have their home location outside
their control. Jobs control where you live but jobs are also a lifestyle
choice.
Some people will have more options so will have a wider choice. Most may
go for the default option, but that is a choice.

It may be that one aspect of someone's life totally dominates, but that
does not mean that secondary aspects are not a choice.

Old October 25th 09, 09:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Buddenbrooks wrote:

"William Black" wrote in message

That's a very 'US centric' state of afairs.

Most of the world's soldiers don't earn enough to own a house

This is a uk newsgroup discussing transport, mainly within the uk, so I
do not have an issue with a UK centric comment.
British soldiers can consider buying and renting out a house with a view
to using it when they leave the services.

Do you have any idea of the proportion who do?

I can assure you it is very small.

Old October 25th 09, 09:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:38:39 -0000, "Buddenbrooks"
wrote:

The lack of service is not acceptable. Having a job involving a lot of
international travel and living a long distance from Heathrow is a lifestyle
choice.
Probably a perfectly valid one.

Indeed - Thiefrow is a poor choice of airport for any travel if there
is a decent alternative.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 25th 09, 09:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 19:01:26 on Sun,
25 Oct 2009, Buddenbrooks remarked:

?? How can where you live be anything other than a lifestyle choice ?

At the risk of swapping aphorisms, that view is much like "let them eat
cake - because they have that choice".

The rest of the conversation is simply whether or not there's a choice
of icing on the cakes.
Old October 26th 09, 04:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

"William Black" wrote in message
Do you have any idea of the proportion who do?

I can assure you it is very small.

No but when I was a student and after looking to rent property a surprising
% of landlords were soldiers.
My nephew is also doing this.

That however does not indicate how many soldiers do this.

I also work with field engineers who spend most of their time overseas on
expenses who do the same.
Prior to the fad for buy to let of recent years I think a lot of rented
property was bought for future retirement by people who were
not in a position to buy to live in. With high house price inflation not
buying a house while you are working can be risky.