London Banter

-   -   Cops caught in free first class rail rap. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9635-cops-caught-free-first-class.html)

CJB October 11th 09 03:45 PM

Cops caught in free first class rail rap.

On Oct 10, 5:49*pm, "DB." wrote:
* * Six Scotland Yard officers have been caught using their warrant
cards to get free first class rail travel.
* * They now face a misconduct hearing for abusing the Met's scheme -
which allows standard class trips.

More at:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...s-caught-in-fr...
or http://tinyurl.com/ylrpvx7

--
DB.

Daily Mirror

Cops caught in free first class rail rap

10/10/2009

http://tinyurl.com/ylrpvx7

MISCONDUCT

Six Scotland Yard officers have been caught using their warrant cards
to get free first class rail travel.

They now face a misconduct hearing for abusing the Met's scheme -
which allows standard class trips.

Under the arrangement, officers can get to work free on all trains
from within 70 miles of London if they police the carriages.

But two detectives in the counter-terrorism unit and a sergeant and
three constables from Westminster were identified as rule breakers in
an operation by an anti-corruption squad on September 11.

The Met has already been asked to justify the £24million annual cost
of the free travel scheme.

Commander Moir Stewart said: "It is unacceptable for a minority to
misuse this concession."

Offramp October 11th 09 04:32 PM

On 11 Oct, 16:45, CJB wrote:
On Oct 10, 5:49*pm, "DB." wrote:

[...]

It seems extremely minor to me. I would have thought that if a
policeman is in first, and is not asked to move by a ticket inspector,
then it is not the PC's fault.

Bruce[_2_] October 11th 09 05:07 PM

Cops caught in free first class rail rap.

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 08:45:00 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

Under the arrangement, officers can get to work free on all trains
from within 70 miles of London if they police the carriages.

Are they "policing the carriages" if they read their newspaper or
listen to their MP3 player? Or does that count as "undercover"
policing?

I wonder if MI5 officers get the same concession. Or is this just
another example of the police bullying their way into getting all
kinds of discounts and freebies?

Bruce[_2_] October 11th 09 05:10 PM

Cops caught in free first class rail rap.

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:32:19 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

It seems extremely minor to me. I would have thought that if a
policeman is in first, and is not asked to move by a ticket inspector,
then it is not the PC's fault.

On the contrary, if the PC is not entitled to travel first class, but
does, then he/she is by definition committing an offence. It does not
need to be drawn to the PC's attention to be defined as an offence.

Then again, this is hardly the first time that the police have been
shown to consider themselves above the law.

Roland Perry October 11th 09 05:31 PM

Cops caught in free first class rail rap.

In message , at 18:07:57 on
Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Bruce remarked:
Under the arrangement, officers can get to work free on all trains
from within 70 miles of London if they police the carriages.

Are they "policing the carriages" if they read their newspaper or
listen to their MP3 player? Or does that count as "undercover"
policing?

I wonder if MI5 officers get the same concession. Or is this just
another example of the police bullying their way into getting all
kinds of discounts and freebies?

Most off-duty police officers will intervene if something "kicks off" in
their vicinity. What this scheme does is encourage them to be on the
train, rather than driving.

Richard J.[_3_] October 11th 09 08:09 PM

Cops caught in free first class rail rap.

Roland Perry wrote on 11 October 2009 18:31:29 ...
In message , at 18:07:57 on
Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Bruce remarked:
Under the arrangement, officers can get to work free on all trains
from within 70 miles of London if they police the carriages.

Are they "policing the carriages" if they read their newspaper or
listen to their MP3 player? Or does that count as "undercover"
policing?

I wonder if MI5 officers get the same concession. Or is this just
another example of the police bullying their way into getting all
kinds of discounts and freebies?

Most off-duty police officers will intervene if something "kicks off" in
their vicinity.

.... which is far less likely to occur in first class, would you not
agree? How very convenient for them.
--
Richard J.

Roland Perry October 11th 09 08:20 PM

Cops caught in free first class rail rap.

In message , at 20:09:17
on Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Richard J. remarked:
Most off-duty police officers will intervene if something "kicks
off" in their vicinity.

... which is far less likely to occur in first class, would you not
agree? How very convenient for them.

They aren't allowed, so it's a moot point.

Miles Bader October 11th 09 10:13 PM

"Richard J." writes:
I wonder if MI5 officers get the same concession. Or is this just
another example of the police bullying their way into getting all
kinds of discounts and freebies?

Most off-duty police officers will intervene if something "kicks off"
in their vicinity.

... which is far less likely to occur in first class, would you not
agree? How very convenient for them.

Still, something probably happens occasionally. What they could do is
have a small number of "first class upgrades" available to police
officers and have a lottery to make them available to those officers who
wish to use the service.

-Miles

--
Bride, n. A woman with a fine prospect of happiness behind her.

Basil Jet October 12th 09 02:22 AM

Richard J. wrote:
Roland Perry wrote on 11 October 2009 18:31:29
In message , at 18:07:57
on Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Bruce remarked:
Under the arrangement, officers can get to work free on all trains
from within 70 miles of London if they police the carriages.

Are they "policing the carriages" if they read their newspaper or
listen to their MP3 player? Or does that count as "undercover"
policing?

I wonder if MI5 officers get the same concession. Or is this just
another example of the police bullying their way into getting all
kinds of discounts and freebies?

Most off-duty police officers will intervene if something "kicks
off" in their vicinity.

... which is far less likely to occur in first class, would you not
agree? How very convenient for them.

They might be able to arrest someone for travelling in first class when not
entitiled.

Roland Perry October 12th 09 06:19 AM

Cops caught in free first class rail rap.

In message , at 07:13:21 on Mon, 12 Oct
2009, Miles Bader remarked:
Most off-duty police officers will intervene if something "kicks off"
in their vicinity.

... which is far less likely to occur in first class, would you not
agree? How very convenient for them.

Still, something probably happens occasionally. What they could do is
have a small number of "first class upgrades" available to police
officers and have a lottery to make them available to those officers who
wish to use the service.

Given that these are police commuting to their jobs mainly in Central
London from the suburbs, are there really that many services with FC?