Old October 13th 09, 11:40 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

Default Heads up - Panorama tonight, BBC1 8.30pm

In message
, at
02:05:30 on Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Neil Williams
remarked:
I think they said that UK banks don't issue them (whatever they are).

They said that *credit* cards were not issued on that system in the
UK. Which they wouldn't be, as an Electron card is by very definition
not a credit card. (The whole purpose of it is that it must always be
authorised online, so it is not possible to run up unauthorised debt
with it).

See my reply to Mr Buddenbrookes.

Old October 13th 09, 11:43 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message , at
09:05:09 on Tue, 13 Oct 2009, pete remarked:
This is something that continually amazes me. That pax feel the need
to eat while flying - even though most flights to holiday destinations
are only 3 - 4 hours max (Spain even less from the S of Eng.) AND they've
just spent an hour or two at departures - with not much to do there except
eat and drink, too.

And the bloke going on holiday to Portugal (I think it was) who
"obviously" was needing to check in 6-8 suitcases at Stansted[1]. I
don't necessarily agree with the road-warriors who spend all week in the
same t-shirt and travel carry-on only; but surely one suitcase each
should be enough for a week's holiday?

[1] I'm pretty sure this programme was triggered by a one-off fiasco
there a couple of months ago when their check-in agents failed to
provide enough staff.
Old October 13th 09, 11:44 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:21:53 on
Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Recliner remarked:
It lost credibility for me when they appeared to claim that Electron
cards were not available in the UK. Later they interviewed a lad who
had made several £5 all-inclusive trips, paying by Electron!

You misunderstood the programme -- it said that Electron credit cards
were not issued by UK banks, not Electron debit cards. The enthusiastic
young traveller had one of the latter.

See my reply to Mr Buddenbrookes.
Old October 13th 09, 11:54 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

Yep. I'm going to Brussels on Eurostar later today. I've saved more
than £50 by going "economy" rather than "Leisure select" [you don't
even want to know how much full FC costs]. I'll spend the £50 on
something better than an airline meal en-route.

As a matter of interest, how does full first class (Business Premier)
differ from Leisure Select? They both use first class carriages, and
both include food and drink.

Is it more a question of flexible bookings than the actual service on
offer? For example, does Business Premier include a complimentary limo
service or just lounge access? Or is it more of a case of segregating
noisy holiday makers from people who want to work on the train?

Old October 13th 09, 01:06 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:54:44 on
Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Recliner remarked:

Yep. I'm going to Brussels on Eurostar later today. I've saved more
than £50 by going "economy" rather than "Leisure select" [you don't
even want to know how much full FC costs]. I'll spend the £50 on
something better than an airline meal en-route.

As a matter of interest, how does full first class (Business Premier)
differ from Leisure Select? They both use first class carriages, and
both include food and drink.

The only difference I can see in the "service" is the ability to use the
lounge. Chauffeuring is extra.

Is it more a question of flexible bookings than the actual service on
offer?

Yes, the higher fares are much more flexible. But that may not be
important to many travellers.

Old October 13th 09, 01:06 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:22:25 on Tue, 13
Oct 2009, michael adams remarked:
This is something that continually amazes me. That pax feel the need
to eat while flying - even though most flights to holiday destinations
are only 3 - 4 hours max (Spain even less from the S of Eng.) AND
they've
just spent an hour or two at departures - with not much to do there
except
eat and drink, too.

It supposedly relaxes people. For many passengers flying can still be a
stressful experience, regardless of statistics. And so if they can pass
their time in the air doing something "enjoyable" they normally do in
everyday
life, this can act as a welcome distraction.

And we don't all spend "an hour or two" in departures, especially for a
6.30am flight.

How do you manage not to?

Check-in time these days is a lot longer than it was because of security
constraints.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old October 13th 09, 01:24 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:06:20 on
Tue, 13 Oct 2009, William Black remarked:

And we don't all spend "an hour or two" in departures, especially
for a 6.30am flight.

How do you manage not to?

For a 6am/6pm flight, using an airport where (touch wood), arriving an
hour before departure having checked in online, is enough to clear the
security queue and get to the gate on time.

And there re a number of airports who now allow you the buy "fast track"
for about £3 - which is an insidious thin-ended wedge, but at least it
works if you are prepared to appease them by buying it.

Check-in time these days is a lot longer than it was because of
security constraints.

If I'm leaving mid-afternoon from EMA, the place is deserted, and you
can even check in at a desk, drop a bag, do security, all in ten
minutes. It used to be like that all day long at BHX T2, but I
understand things have change now that Ryanair are filling it with pax.
But the classic carriers have gone back to T1 now.
Old October 13th 09, 04:05 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

pete wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:48:26 +0100, Buddenbrooks wrote:

I dont live near London or Manchester and the budget airlines now
offer choice from regional airports more convenient to those living
away from the two rational hubs.

The flight within Europe is so short that it is the public transport
and airport facilities that dominate the experience. You would be
better off paying to use a private lounge than extra for the flight.

The other thing I got from the programme was that ryanair came in at
number 33 out of 42 in a customer satisfaction survey. I want to know
which airlines are worse - so I can avoid _them_!

**** customer satisfaction surveys! What do they want, a free cigar,
newspaper and a hand job from the stewardess? It's about flying as cheaply
as possible. Generally in life, you get what you pay for. The public amaze
me with their expectations. They'll pay a fiver for a flight and then
expect to be treated like Royalty!

Old October 13th 09, 04:11 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

On Oct 13, 6:05*pm, "Stephen O'Connell" wrote:
pete wrote:
[...]

a Ryanair hand job....I wonder how much they would charge for that ;-)
Old October 13th 09, 04:13 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in message

actively promoting Ryanair on the "all publicity" principle.

I wonder what Gerald Ratner thinks of that (nonsense) principle! ;-)

Ian