Old October 30th 09, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default West London Line - what recession?

On Oct 30, 5:55*am, "DW downunder" noname wrote:
"E27002" wrote in message

On Oct 29, 1:49 pm, David Jackson wrote: The message

from E27002 contains these words:

http://www.jrfielding.com/live/views...StoryIndex=288

Thanks for the link. It's about time that USians had "proper" food
available. The bloke who trims the remains of my hair has relatives in
Transpondia, and he seems to spend his whole holiday over there in the
kitchen, cooking enough real food to fill their freezer so that they'll
be OK until his next visit.

Fortunately World Market now stocks a number of useful British items.
So I needn't forgo PG Tips, or Typhoo. *I can make birds custard for
my American apple pie. *Branston Pickle is available to give my salads
a slight UK touch. *Walker Shortbread and McVities Biscuits Biscuits
(now there is an ambiguous word) are occasional treats.

When I first worked in the US in 1982 I would go crazy for a cup of
real tea. *Eventually I would have family members send it over.

On a par with Earl's Court Aussies and Vegemite (axle grease to the average
Yank).

Managed to survive 10 years without it. Sainsbury's Yeast Extract was pretty
darn close.

Well I am surprised nobody in the Earl's Court area thought to import
Vegemite in bulk. Just out of curiosity I will check if World Market
carries it next time I am there.

Nowadays when I have to spend an extended period in the UK I find
myself wanting: A1 Sauce (Easy have some brung over), American Beef,
and Texas Barbecue. As regards the latter two, the gratification is
that much greater when I return to these US.

There is a slight issue here in Reno, where I am most of the time
these days. We do not have a good Indian restaurant. So that treat
has to wait for my occasional trips to Anaheim.

Old October 31st 09, 12:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:06:22 +0800, "DW downunder" noname wrote:

Sorry Old Chap, did ask that when you introduce a TLA into a post for the
1st that you spell it out. I can guess from context that ECR is East
Croydon, and MKC is Milton Keynes Central. I think WFJ is Watford Junction,
which would suit the context. Could you pls confirm.

Yep, all those are correct.

If we could get the frequency up, a half-hourly Watford to Clapham
shuttle would be more use than hourly through to Milton Keynes, so
long as the connections worked with LM trains at the Watford end. But
the danger is that an increase in frequency would cause a "sparks
effect" which would just result in passenger growth which there isn't
the capacity to handle.

The ultimate solution is probably to reinstate platforms on the slow
lines at Willesden and call all slow-line LM services[1] there for
interchange purposes, then to withdraw the through service completely.

[1] Ideally *all* LM services. But I'm not sure there's the capacity
on the slows to switch LM services back before Euston to allow this.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 31st 09, 04:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Oct 30, 1:37*am, "Recliner" wrote:
"Nobody" wrote in message

"E27002" wrote in message

On Oct 27, 3:37 pm, "Chris Read" wrote:

That sort of work for British companies is now normally done in
Mumbai or Bangalore. *They're a lot cheaper than Edinburgh, Los
Angeles, or Omaha.

grin and OT: but if you're gonna write "Mumbai" for Bombay, please
be consistent and use "Bengaluru" for Bangalore...

Yes, I did think of that, but felt that the former had caught on a lot
more than the latter. *The latter is also not as cheap as it used to be.

According to the Board of Control for Cricket in India, the Karnataka
State Cricket Association play cricket at the M.Chinnaswamy Stadium,
Bangalore. I think until the Indians start using Bengaluru there
should be no compulsion on the rest of the world.

John

chortle

Egzacly my point.

We Anglo-whatevers are being beaten over Our Noggins, being told to
"correct" our geographical notions as the Newly Freed Poor Downtrodden
try to exert Their Puffiness.

Don't hear Bruxelles/Brussels... Kobenhavn/Copenhagen...
Wien/Vienna... al-Kahira/Cairo... al-Damask/Damascus... bitching!

How would one describe Buenos Aires... Rio de Janeiro... en Ingles?

Fresh Airs and January River? The Summer Olympics of whenever should
be fun, if we survive the nonsense of the 2010 Winter Olympics in
Vancouver.

Should you sense a touch of sporting cynicism, congratulations!

Vive Pekin! (As even China Radio International from, er, Beijing,
still refers to its hometown in French.)
Old October 31st 09, 04:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:49:47 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

[It seems very unlikely they wouldn't carry at least Stilton and some
English Cheddar, given how famous they are.]

They are perhaps more likely to sell Canadian and/or Israeli Cheddar.

;-)

Don't laugh, but I saw in a newspaper somewhere recently that our
Canadian Cheddar label is about to be attacked.

A quick web search couldn't pull up any reference...
Old October 31st 09, 08:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

In message
Nobody wrote:

[snip]

How would one describe Buenos Aires... Rio de Janeiro... en Ingles?

For most of the 19th century the capital of the River Plate states was known
to the English as Buenos Ayres.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Old October 31st 09, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Nobody wrote:
grin and OT: but if you're gonna write "Mumbai" for Bombay, please
be consistent and use "Bengaluru" for Bangalore...
Yes, I did think of that, but felt that the former had caught on a lot
more than the latter. The latter is also not as cheap as it used to be.

According to the Board of Control for Cricket in India, the Karnataka
State Cricket Association play cricket at the M.Chinnaswamy Stadium,
Bangalore. I think until the Indians start using Bengaluru there
should be no compulsion on the rest of the world.

John

chortle

Egzacly my point.

We Anglo-whatevers are being beaten over Our Noggins.

Is that Noggin the Nog?

--
As through this world I've rambled, I've met plenty of funny men,
Some rob you with a sixgun, some with a fountain pen.

Woody Guthrie
Old October 31st 09, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

rail wrote:
In message
Nobody wrote:

[snip]
How would one describe Buenos Aires... Rio de Janeiro... en Ingles?

For most of the 19th century the capital of the River Plate states was known
to the English as Buenos Ayres.

Mar del Plata

Old October 31st 09, 08:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

DW downunder wrote:

"E27002" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 1:49 pm, David Jackson wrote:
The message

from E27002 contains these words:

http://www.jrfielding.com/live/views...StoryIndex=288

Thanks for the link. It's about time that USians had "proper" food
available. The bloke who trims the remains of my hair has relatives in
Transpondia, and he seems to spend his whole holiday over there in the
kitchen, cooking enough real food to fill their freezer so that they'll
be OK until his next visit.

Fortunately World Market now stocks a number of useful British items.
So I needn't forgo PG Tips, or Typhoo. I can make birds custard for
my American apple pie. Branston Pickle is available to give my salads
a slight UK touch. Walker Shortbread and McVities Biscuits Biscuits
(now there is an ambiguous word) are occasional treats.

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

Old October 31st 09, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 30 Oct, 12:55, "DW downunder" noname wrote:

birds custard for my American apple pie

I think I'd rather have Bird's Custard on my pie than "birds
custard".
Old October 31st 09, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 31 Oct, 08:54, Martin Edwards wrote:

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

What's with the "now"? I've been buying it from Tesco for at least 10
years. Vegemite with an 'e' in the middle I mean.