Old October 31st 09, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default West London Line - what recession?

On Oct 31, 10:06*pm, contrex wrote:
On 31 Oct, 08:54, Martin Edwards wrote:

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

What's with the "now"? I've been buying it from Tesco for at least 10
years. Vegemite with an 'e' in the middle I mean.

I was able to buy Vegemite from my local Tesco in 1988.

Old October 31st 09, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"John Dennis" wrote in message
On Oct 31, 10:06 pm, contrex wrote:
On 31 Oct, 08:54, Martin Edwards wrote:

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

What's with the "now"? I've been buying it from Tesco for at least 10
years. Vegemite with an 'e' in the middle I mean.

I was able to buy Vegemite from my local Tesco in 1988.

Returned to Oz in 87 - they were a tad slow to respond to the market!!

DW downunder

Old October 31st 09, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 31 Oct, 00:55, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:06:22 +0800, "DW downunder" noname wrote:
Sorry Old Chap, did ask that when you introduce a TLA into a post for the
1st that you spell it out. I can guess from context that ECR is East
Croydon, and MKC is Milton Keynes Central. I think WFJ is Watford Junction,
which would suit the context. Could you pls confirm.

Yep, all those are correct.

If we could get the frequency up, a half-hourly Watford to Clapham
shuttle would be more use than hourly through to Milton Keynes, so
long as the connections worked with LM trains at the Watford end. *But
the danger is that an increase in frequency would cause a "sparks
effect" which would just result in passenger growth which there isn't
the capacity to handle.

The ultimate solution is probably to reinstate platforms on the slow
lines at Willesden and call all slow-line LM services[1] there for
interchange purposes, then to withdraw the through service completely.

[1] Ideally *all* LM services. *But I'm not sure there's the capacity
on the slows to switch LM services back before Euston to allow this.

I agree. That would be by far the best solution.

Willesden, being a veritable industrial wasteland that it is, has
ample space available for creative solutions. The most obvious to me
being platform loops, either as simple through lines to allow trains
to run to Euston fast from Watford (serving the express role vacated
by VWC's desire not to serve Watford Junction), or as alternate
platforms, enabling alternating use to maximise throughput.

i.e. (apologies for the ASCII art! (fixed width intended))
a)
####
/----\
-*------*-
-*------*-
\----/
####

or b)

/----\
-* #### *-
\----/
/----\
-* #### *-
\----/

If during the course of building these platforms you took the
opportunity to build/extend the LO platforms above them with direct
lift and stair access (and maybe escalators if it's a major enough
interchange ), then the interchange penalty would be greatly
reduced. Even more so if you started some WLL services from Willesden
as present, so the trains won't already be full, and odds are, sitting
there waiting for you to board when you arrive.
Old October 31st 09, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In uk.transport.london message 6Pmdndxh4JTaqnfXnZ2dnUVZ7q-
, Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:45:59,
posted:
In article id,
(Dr J R Stockton) wrote:

In uk.transport.london message ,
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:39:52, Bill Borland posted:

I do wish he'd said "British restaurant", not "British Restaurant".
Horrible memories of 1939-1945.

I think at least one may have been still running in the early/mid
sixties. The Councillor's family may remember. It was probably near
the middle of

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...q=cambridge&sl
l=51.407017,-0.260955&sspn=0.008486,0.015256&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear= Cambridge,+U
nited+Kingdom&ll=52.205401,0.121434&spn=0.002084, 0.005858&z=18&layer=c&cbll
=52.205452,0.121306&panoid=PnmB3cj0TCP3vyjL76Mf sg &cbp=12,187.87,,0,7.47

Not sure how we got onto the late lamented Cambridge Civic Restaurant (as
it was when I knew it) in this thread. It was indeed on that corner. I
only ever eat there once, when in Cambridge for my interview in 1967.

Evidently I have failed to remember that it was Civic, and so apparently
connected to a better class of governmental organisation than that then
in charge of the country. I'd eaten there, but not often, probably when
living in Eden Street.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ TP/BP/Delphi/&c., FAQqy topics & links;
Old October 31st 09, 06:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:31:36 -0700, Nobody wrote:

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:49:47 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

[It seems very unlikely they wouldn't carry at least Stilton and some
English Cheddar, given how famous they are.]

They are perhaps more likely to sell Canadian and/or Israeli Cheddar.

;-)

Don't laugh, but I saw in a newspaper somewhere recently that our
Canadian Cheddar label is about to be attacked.

No surprise, really, as it all makes no sense. But neither did
Danish, Dutch and Israeli cheddar, all of which I have bought over the
years. The Israeli cheddar was in a cheese spread, but the
manufacturer apparently also made hard cheddar cheese.

It's all rather a long way from Somerset. But Somerset gets its own
back by making "Brie". ;-)

Old October 31st 09, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"Bruce" wrote in message
years. The Israeli cheddar was in a cheese spread, but the
manufacturer apparently also made hard cheddar cheese.

and it is has no taste at all, I much prefer the original

Richard

Old October 31st 09, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:42:29 -0000, "R J Cardy"
wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
years. The Israeli cheddar was in a cheese spread, but the
manufacturer apparently also made hard cheddar cheese.

and it is has no taste at all, I much prefer the original

But what is "the original"? If there was ever only one recipe, it has
been well and truly lost.

Very little now separates any kind of cheddar from a great many other
hard cheeses from all over the world. Wherever it comes from, it is a
almost always a mediocre and particularly undistinguished cheese.

Old October 31st 09, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Oct 31, 8:53*am, Martin Edwards wrote:

For most of the 19th century the capital of the River Plate states was known
to the English as Buenos Ayres.

Mar del Plata

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

AFAIK Mar del Plata was not a capital of anything. There was nothing
there until 1874, and had no port until 1916. It may now be
Argentinas' 7th largest city and exceeds half a million population,
but in the 19th century it was nothing.

Or are you answetring something further up thread,

How would one describe Buenos Aires... Rio de Janeiro... en Ingles?

Are you perhaps confusing things with Rio de la Plata ? Not only
location but translation: rio is river, mar is sea.

--
Nick
Old November 1st 09, 12:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

"John Dennis" wrote in message
On Oct 31, 10:06 pm, contrex wrote:
On 31 Oct, 08:54, Martin Edwards wrote:

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

What's with the "now"? I've been buying it from Tesco for at least 10
years. Vegemite with an 'e' in the middle I mean.

I was able to buy Vegemite from my local Tesco in 1988.

Returned to Oz in 87 - they were a tad slow to respond to the market!!

DW downunder

sigh Canada's Labelling Police apparently are responsible for the
disappearance of that Most Important Aussie treat from supermarket
shelves over the last year or so.

I have stumbled on a Indo-Fijian food store in the deep Vancouver
suburbs that brings Vegemite in through a back door, but they've
stopped importing the 454g jars and I'm left with grabbing 225g or in
a pinch the tiny 115g jars whch last only a few days...
Old November 1st 09, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Oct 31, 4:27*am, Nobody wrote:
On Oct 30, 1:37*am, "Recliner" wrote:
"Nobody" wrote in message

"E27002" wrote in message

On Oct 27, 3:37 pm, "Chris Read" wrote:

That sort of work for British companies is now normally done in
Mumbai or Bangalore. *They're a lot cheaper than Edinburgh, Los
Angeles, or Omaha.

grin and OT: but if you're gonna write "Mumbai" for Bombay, please
be consistent and use "Bengaluru" for Bangalore...

Yes, I did think of that, but felt that the former had caught on a lot
more than the latter. *The latter is also not as cheap as it used to be.

According to the Board of Control for Cricket in India, the Karnataka
State Cricket Association play cricket at the M.Chinnaswamy Stadium,
Bangalore. *I think until the Indians start using Bengaluru there
should be no compulsion on the rest of the world.

John

chortle

Egzacly my point.

We Anglo-whatevers are being beaten over Our Noggins, being told to
"correct" our geographical notions as the Newly Freed Poor Downtrodden
try to exert Their Puffiness.

Don't hear Bruxelles/Brussels... Kobenhavn/Copenhagen...
Wien/Vienna... al-Kahira/Cairo... al-Damask/Damascus... bitching!

How would one describe Buenos Aires... Rio de Janeiro... en Ingles?

Fresh Airs and January River? *The Summer Olympics of whenever should
be fun, if we survive the nonsense of the 2010 Winter Olympics in
Vancouver.

Should you sense a touch of sporting cynicism, congratulations!

Vive Pekin! *(As even China Radio International from, er, Beijing,
still refers to its hometown in French.)

Not quite sure why I'm bothering - but English is one of the most
prevalent languages in India (and is one of India's official
languages), so they have every right to choose what English names they
use for their cities.

It's an internal debate between local-nationalist and international-
elitist politicians, not an external one: so Bombay, where I'm writing
this from, was renamed for all local English-language purposes[*]
when the local council was dominated by a nasty bunch of BNP-like anti-
immigrant (from out-of-state, obviously) thugs called the Shiv Sena.

As a foreigner, you can refer to it however you like - however,
there's a fine line between "demonstrating your understanding of
history and your contempt for bigots" and "appearing to be an ignorant
prat", so I'd recommend using "Mumbai" unless you're aware of the
political views of the person you're talking to.

(quite why we indulge China, where English is neither official nor
widely spoken, in telling us how to transliterate their place names,
is less clear.)

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org