Old November 1st 09, 07:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default West London Line - what recession?

John B writes:
As a foreigner, you can refer to it however you like - however,
there's a fine line between "demonstrating your understanding of
history and your contempt for bigots" and "appearing to be an ignorant
prat", so I'd recommend using "Mumbai" unless you're aware of the
political views of the person you're talking to.

Using "Mumbai" is hardly guaranteed to spare you the latter charge though...

-Miles

--
Ich bin ein Virus. Mach' mit und kopiere mich in Deine .signature.

Old November 1st 09, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

contrex wrote:
On 31 Oct, 08:54, Martin Edwards wrote:

You can get Vegimite in the UK now too.

What's with the "now"? I've been buying it from Tesco for at least 10
years. Vegemite with an 'e' in the middle I mean.

Smack hands

--
As through this world I've rambled, I've met plenty of funny men,
Some rob you with a sixgun, some with a fountain pen.

Woody Guthrie
Old November 1st 09, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Nov 1, 8:13*am, Miles Bader wrote:
John B writes:
As a foreigner, you can refer to it however you like - however,
there's a fine line between "demonstrating your understanding of
history and your contempt for bigots" and "appearing to be an ignorant
prat", so I'd recommend using "Mumbai" unless you're aware of the
political views of the person you're talking to.

Using "Mumbai" is hardly guaranteed to spare you the latter charge though....

IMX using "Mumbai" will at worst get you a "no, you don't need to call
it Mumbai to me, that's only what those saffron *******s call it",
whereas using "Bombay" can cause serious annoyance (not just with
saffron *******s but also with people with no particular loyalties on
the internal bunfight but who think Western Imperialism is bad).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org