London Banter

-   -   Borough Market Viaduct (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9849-borough-market-viaduct.html)

Paul Scott November 1st 09 11:07 AM

Borough Market Viaduct

Now that work has started on the new viaduct through/above Borough Market, I
was wondering how they will take advantage of the extra pair of tracks that
will be provided in the interim period before work starts at London Bridge
and its eastern approaches?

I suppose with a four track railway between the west end of LB and Charing
Cross they could dedicate them 2 to Charing Cross and 2 to Thameslink, but
AIUI the existing limitations on Thameslink peak services through London
Bridge will still be in place, so might they just use all four lines for
services to Charing Cross, with Thameslink superimposed as necessary? Has
anyone seen any details of what might happen?

Paul S

Mr Thant November 1st 09 12:41 PM

Borough Market Viaduct

On 1 Nov, 12:07, "Paul Scott" wrote:
I suppose with a four track railway between the west end of LB and Charing
Cross they could dedicate them 2 to Charing Cross and 2 to Thameslink, but
AIUI the existing limitations on Thameslink peak services through London
Bridge will still be in place, so might they just use all four lines for
services to Charing Cross, with Thameslink superimposed as necessary? *Has
anyone seen any details of what might happen?

My guess is that London Bridge High Level is going to be rebuilt one
platform at a time from south to north. The new southernmost through
platforms can't be brought into use without viaduct further west to
run onto. Therefore it might just be to look at the viaduct works as
an enabling work for the KO2 London Bridge works.

(this does assume that widening the section between London Bridge and
Borough Market Viaduct from 5 to 7 tracks is part of KO1, which I'm
not certain of)

It would, as you mention, be impossible to run any peak Thameslink
trains through the six through platforms at London Bridge and still
provide a full service to Charing Cross, so we can rule that out.
Therefore, with only the current Charing Cross service to carry, it's
entirely possible the viaduct won't actually be four tracked until
2015.

Paul Scott November 1st 09 01:32 PM

Borough Market Viaduct

Mr Thant wrote:

It would, as you mention, be impossible to run any peak Thameslink
trains through the six through platforms at London Bridge and still
provide a full service to Charing Cross, so we can rule that out.
Therefore, with only the current Charing Cross service to carry, it's
entirely possible the viaduct won't actually be four tracked until
2015.

Or run the existing two track service partially on the new viaduct while
modifying or maintaining the existing sections prior to or during track
remodelling. No doubt it'll all become clearer nearer the time!

Paul