Old November 8th 09, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

Neil Williams wrote:
PFed, I guess, if a 1-9 ODTC is indeed what you had., as such a thing
isn't valid to Watford Junction.

But the gate should have just said 'Seek assistance' in that case? It
wouldn't have eaten the ticket.

Theo

Old November 9th 09, 05:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 09 Nov 2009 00:38:30 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

But the gate should have just said 'Seek assistance' in that case? It
wouldn't have eaten the ticket.

True...

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old November 9th 09, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Jackman wrote:

But outboundary travelcards should never be issued from within the zones,
and I wasn't previously aware that National Rail stations could issue Z1-9
either.

The extremities of the Metropolitan Line are a special case when it
comes to the "out-boundary" rule, in that National Rail ticket offices
*can* issue a Travelcard for them (Amersham to All Zones being the usual
scenario) *and* they don't turn into a pumpkin when you reach Amersham.

It also appears that the rules regarding other out-boundary Travelcards
have now been updated in "The Manual" and it now explicitly states that,
whilst not valid for another journey back to/from London after you
return to the origin point, they *do* retain the Travelcard validity
within Zones 1 to 6.

Cheers,

Barry
Old November 9th 09, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

wrote in message

Would Croydon (or wherever, I see he wasn't too specific) have sold him a
Watford Junction outboundary Travelcard, though? And wouldn't it be valid
for a return trip to the zones if so?

I expect they could if asked, but the ticket would still not be valid
after the first trip to Watford Jn. By analogy, as you are probabaly
aware, the outward part of a two part ticket is not valid without the
return...

In the light of Barry's info, I'd clarify that by saying they are no longer
valid on the NR part of the route once they have been used to return to the
origin. As the barriers will have normally eaten it, using the zonal
validity again in the same day will require the user to avoid the barriers.

Paul S

Old November 9th 09, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Barry Salter wrote:

David Jackman wrote:

But outboundary travelcards should never be issued from within the zones,
and I wasn't previously aware that National Rail stations could issue Z1-9
either.

The extremities of the Metropolitan Line are a special case when it comes to
the "out-boundary" rule, in that National Rail ticket offices *can* issue a
Travelcard for them (Amersham to All Zones being the usual scenario) *and*
they don't turn into a pumpkin when you reach Amersham.

'Turn into a pumpkin' = 'get eaten'? Mind you, the ticket i had was bright
orange in parts, so perhaps it was already part pumpkin?

It also appears that the rules regarding other out-boundary Travelcards
have now been updated in "The Manual" and it now explicitly states that,
whilst not valid for another journey back to/from London after you
return to the origin point, they *do* retain the Travelcard validity
within Zones 1 to 6.

Ah, so if that's what i had, it should have eaten the ticket and spat out
a Z1-6 TC? And does 'origin point' mean something unexpected, as i was
nowhere near my origin!

I suppose i should have bought (or the guy should have sold me) a Z1-6 TC
and a pair of off-peak singles from Z6 to WJ - 7.50 + 2*1.10 = 9.70. I
could perhaps even have done the extension on pre-pay.

tom

--
History is about battles, great men, gory executions and wigs. That is
all. -- The Richelieu Association