Old November 14th 03, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus route numbering

To add my 2p, in the bus reshaping plan, the network was to change to a
model of 'trunk routes' linking nodal points (ideally at tube, or
rail/tube, interchanges) with local 'feeder routes' to carry traffic to
the nodal point.

Wood Green was the main model (with Turnpike Lane as the Nodal Point),
Walthamstow and Golders Green were others. I still have no idea why the
128 was changed in it's entirety to W8, but made flat-fare (unless it
was to test the concept away from the 'Nodal' model) even though I used
it everyday for school (both as the 128 and the W8).

So the 'Lettered' routes were basically local services.
--
Steve

Old November 14th 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

jasonr (Jason Rumney) @ f2s.com wrote in message ...
Paul Corfield writes:

Hounslow got H20 up to H37 plus oddities like the H98.

The H91 follows the 391 route most of the way between Hammersmith and
the Chiswick Roundabout, which has always seemed to me to be more than
just coincidence. The other oddities may have similar similarities,
or maybe Hounslow just ran out of numbers and took 90-99 as well.

The H40 (now replaced by 440 and 272) was a Hounslow route.

I believe the H91 is going to be rerouted soon in the Chiswick area.
One plan was for it to run along the A4 between Hammersmith and Chiswick
Roundabout.

Robin

Old November 14th 03, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:32:37 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Ian Jelf typed

In article , Helen Deborah Vecht
writes
I *think* it has something to do with where these buses run.
U* buses mostly run around the Uxbridge area
H* buses mostly cover Harrow (except H1, H2 & H3, which go round
Hampstead Garden Suburb)
E* buses have an Ealing connection
PR* run around Park Royal

I think there was once a "PB1 (?) in Potters Bar, too?

Yebbut Potters Bar isn't in London. It's even on the other side of the
M25. (Just)

I believe these prefixess were introduced when Country Buses was still
part of London Transport. Some more letters were S for St Albans
(still in use) and SB for Stevenage. W is in use for Watford and B
fro Borehamwood but I don't know how far these go back.
--
Peter Lawrence
Old November 14th 03, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robert Woolley
writes
a) Routes numbered in the 600 series are school routes. With the
exception of the 607, which is a limited stop version of the 207.

Routes numbered in the 500 series are Red Arrow buses. Used to be
limited stop and special fares.

Before that, 500/600 was the trolleybus series. Where a trolleybus route
replaced a tram route, the last two digits remained the same (so if tram
14 became a trolleybus, it would be 514 or 614).

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old November 17th 03, 07:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Nov 2003 23:29:09 +0000, jasonr (Jason Rumney) @ f2s.com wrote:

Paul Corfield writes:

Hounslow got H20 up to H37 plus oddities like the H98.

The H91 follows the 391 route most of the way between Hammersmith and
the Chiswick Roundabout, which has always seemed to me to be more than
just coincidence. The other oddities may have similar similarities,
or maybe Hounslow just ran out of numbers and took 90-99 as well.

Similarly I think the H37 used to be part of the 37, along with the
337 and what is still called the 37

Martin
Old November 17th 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Helen Deborah Vecht
writes
Ian Jelf typed

In article , Helen Deborah Vecht
writes
I *think* it has something to do with where these buses run.
U* buses mostly run around the Uxbridge area
H* buses mostly cover Harrow (except H1, H2 & H3, which go round
Hampstead Garden Suburb)
E* buses have an Ealing connection
PR* run around Park Royal

I think there was once a "PB1 (?) in Potters Bar, too?

Yebbut Potters Bar isn't in London. It's even on the other side of the
M25. (Just)

No but it was an LT bus route, the PB1, wasn't it?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old November 21st 03, 12:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Martin Whelton) wrote:

and of course C-Central for the C1 and C3

and RV1. Any others with more than one letter?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 21st 03, 04:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
In article ,
(Martin Whelton) wrote:

and of course C-Central for the C1 and C3

and RV1. Any others with more than one letter?

PL1, where PL stands for Lea Valley Leisure Centre... [1]

[1] ...which is in Picketts Lock, of course.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 21st 03, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

(Martin Whelton) wrote:

and of course C-Central for the C1 and C3

and RV1. Any others with more than one letter?

PL1, where PL stands for Lea Valley Leisure Centre... [1]
[1] ...which is in Picketts Lock, of course.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Was that the route with the bike attachment bus? does it still run?

A strange one is the G1 (Streatham-Battersea) where the G stands for St
Georges Hospital.
What does the P in P4 (Brixton-Lewisham) stand for?

& one other why did the southern bit of the Station Link get 705?

Paul