Old July 21st 10, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Earls court signa lbox

I know computers of that vintage would have had air-con, so have LUL
not maintained the Air-con in all that time ?

Old July 21st 10, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , martyn dawe
writes

I know computers of that vintage would have had air-con, so have LUL
not maintained the Air-con in all that time ?

If you're referring to the fans seen in a recent BBC clip, I don't think
they're used for cooling anything as advanced as a computer. It looked
to me like they're for cooling the thermionic valves that are still used
in the signal relays. (I did wonder where TfL manage to source
replacement valves these days!)
--
Paul Terry
Old July 21st 10, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 21, 5:40 pm, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , martyn dawe
writes

I know computers of that vintage would have had air-con, so have LUL
not maintained the Air-con in all that time ?

If you're referring to the fans seen in a recent BBC clip, I don't think
they're used for cooling anything as advanced as a computer. It looked
to me like they're for cooling the thermionic valves that are still used
in the signal relays. (I did wonder where TfL manage to source
replacement valves these days!)

They said some of the replacement parts have to be custom made. I dunno if
the infracos that are now once again known as LU do it themselves, of
whether some workshop somewhere has an odd sideline in making such things.

Old July 21st 10, 06:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , martyn dawe
writes

I know computers of that vintage would have had air-con, so have LUL
not maintained the Air-con in all that time ?

If you're referring to the fans seen in a recent BBC clip, I don't think
they're used for cooling anything as advanced as a computer. It looked
to me like they're for cooling the thermionic valves that are still used
in the signal relays. (I did wonder where TfL manage to source
replacement valves these days!)

Decomissioned space shuttles?

tom

--
Teach us how to die well
Old July 22nd 10, 10:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 21, 7:26*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, Paul Terry wrote:
In message , martyn dawe
writes

I know computers of that vintage would have had air-con, so have LUL
not maintained the Air-con in all that time ?

If you're referring to the fans seen in a recent BBC clip, I don't think
they're used for cooling anything as advanced as a computer. It looked
to me like they're for cooling the thermionic valves that are still used
in the signal relays. (I did wonder where TfL manage to source
replacement valves these days!)

Decomissioned space shuttles?

tom

--
Teach us how to die well

The REW at Acton refurbishes and sources a lot of the really old
parts.LU is also part of a group of companies that work together to
find parts for old equipment, I can't think of its name now though.

The fans are to cool the relays and cards down, further along there is
computer based equipment which has air con and more fans to cool it
down. This is repeated in IMRs, SERs, CERs, Connect Radio Rooms and
Relay Rooms all over the network. I'd love to know just how much
energy is used to keep things cool.