Old January 15th 11, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default North dock drained for crossrail

"Martin Petrov" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:25:43 +0000, Paul Scott wrote:

Just read they've drained the north dock down at canary wharf for
xrail.

Is this something new?

No - (unless something extraordinary has happened since Xmas) - it's just
the stuff you've seen already.

So it's just 'boltar' (or something he's just read) taking a year to catch
up...

Paul S

Old January 15th 11, 11:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 14, 2:26*pm, wrote:
Just read they've drained the north dock down at canary wharf for xrail.
Is this going to be a permanent situation? If it is perhaps its time to
think up a new name for the area since there won't be many docks left!

B2003

btw - to actually answer your question, they've spent the last 2 or so
years walling off part of the dock behind the FSA/Bank Of America/HSBC
buildings, which I suspect lines up pretty well with where Jubilee
Line station is - that whole section, as well as the section between
the FSA/BofA building has all been completely drained, which will form
the station box/new shopping centre.

IIRC, CW have agreed to stump up cash based on the idea that the
shopping centre will be built anyway, and so the work for the station
should go ahead at the same time. This meant that even though it might
have been possible over the last 2 years that work on CrossRail might
stop, the shopping centre would have gone ahead regardless.

There's probably loads of docs/pics on the internet.

There's also plenty of water around too, so they can keep the
docklands name, I suspect.

Btw - given they've done this now, and that the North Quay (or dock, I
don't know which) is never going to have boats going through it now,
surely they could go ahead with what I think the DLR most needs, and
that is to formally close West India Quay station, and simply build a
footbridge directly below the DLR line? Now that some routes call in
one direction and not in another, surely anything that can be done to
remove WIQ completely should be done, as it's near redundant now.
Old January 15th 11, 08:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:55:34 -0000
"MaxB" wrote:
Its a shame though, north dock was a very nice place to sit and have a
drink
when I used to work down there many years ago.

B2003

When we had finished fitting out 30 The South Colonnade, the contractors
invited us to a meal in the floating restaurant in the North Dock.
Apparently it didn't get a lot of custom (there was nobody there then!) and
it mysteriously sank a short time afterwards. Insurance was mentioned! I
believe they raised it at the time, if not it should turn up now!

I'd never heard of a floating restaurant. Must've been before my time down
there. If City restaurants are anything to go by it probably sank under the
weight of its own hubris.

B2003

Old January 15th 11, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote:
wrote in message
Just read they've drained the north dock down at canary wharf for xrail.

Is this something new?

Its new to me. I haven't been down that part of the world for a good few years.

The space inside the cofferdam, where the station box is to be built, was
drained in Feb/Mar 2010 IIRC. What, if anything, is going on outside the
cofferdam?

Don't suppose anyone has any pictures?

B2003

Old January 15th 11, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 21:08:47 on Sat, 15 Jan
2011, d remarked:
I'd never heard of a floating restaurant. Must've been before my time down
there. If City restaurants are anything to go by it probably sank under the
weight of its own hubris.

There was (emphasis on the past tense) a floating restaurant on the
river in central Brisbane. I expect there still is one in the harbour
close to Amsterdam Centraal.
http://www.seapalace.nl/en

Old January 15th 11, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 21:08:47 on Sat, 15 Jan 2011,
d remarked:

I'd never heard of a floating restaurant. Must've been before my time down
there. If City restaurants are anything to go by it probably sank under the
weight of its own hubris.

There was (emphasis on the past tense) a floating restaurant on the river in
central Brisbane. I expect there still is one in the harbour close to
Amsterdam Centraal.
http://www.seapalace.nl/en

There's a floating, moving, restaurant in Oxford:

http://itchyoxford.co.uk/review.cfm/...amund-the-Fair

Or at least was.

tom

--
.... to build a space elevator, that's got to be hundreds of thousands
of pounds ... -- Mike Froggatt
Old January 15th 11, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"MaxB" wrote:
Its a shame though, north dock was a very nice place to sit and have a
drink
when I used to work down there many years ago.

B2003

When we had finished fitting out 30 The South Colonnade, the contractors
invited us to a meal in the floating restaurant in the North Dock.
Apparently it didn't get a lot of custom (there was nobody there then!) and
it mysteriously sank a short time afterwards. Insurance was mentioned! I
believe they raised it at the time, if not it should turn up now!

I'd never heard of a floating restaurant. Must've been before my time down
there. If City restaurants are anything to go by it probably sank under the
weight of its own hubris.

B2003

It was a converted barge I think, this would have been the early 90s, long
before the Jub. line opened and when the DLR ran until 2100 and not at all
at weekends.

MaxB

Old January 16th 11, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/01/2011 23:03, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011, Roland Perry wrote:

There's a floating, moving, restaurant in Oxford:

http://itchyoxford.co.uk/review.cfm/...amund-the-Fair

Or at least was.

tom

There a bar/restaurant in Peterborough visible from the railway bridge
over the Nene