Old February 23rd 11, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Is the victoria line the new misery line?

wrote in message

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 03:12:56 -0800 (PST)
I'm afraid the existing lines in London can't cope with the number of
people who want to travel. It will get a little easier when
Crossrail opens but we desperately need a new South-west to
North-east line (Chelsea-Hackney). It should have been built 10
years ago but at =A3300million a mile, the government didn't and
still doesn't have the money for it.
TP

I'm not sure chelsea really needs a whole new line given the close
proximity of a lot of tube stations down there already, but the
hackney area could
do with one. A branch off the current victoria line from KX would
probably cover it.

The Crossrail 2 line won't just serve Chelsea and Hackney. It's had
various versions over the years, but this is what Wikipedia currently
says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea...93Hackney_line

As you can see, it's intended to relieve pressure on the District and
Central lines (by taking over over one each of their branches) as well
as providing a new high capacity diagnal line through central London,
which will take some of the current Victoria and Picc traffic (which, as
you you know already overloads the lines in question).

Old February 23rd 11, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:15:10 -0800 (PST)
john b wrote:
On Feb 22, 1:05=A0am, wrote:
Does a week go by anymore when there isn't a serious train failure on
it?
And I think we all know which type of train.

Bathtub much?

Eh?

B2003

I've experienced some serious delays in the last few months of more than 30
mins and it's rare I don't get at least 3 delays of at least 10 mins each
week (of course rarely long enough for me to claim a CCR). On at least 2
occasions it took over an hour to get from Tottenham Hale to Seven Sisters,
typically stopping after leaving TH so I couldn't get off and "seek an
alternative route"

Tonight was very bad and at the time there were no reports of delays - a 5
min gap between Northbound trains, Arsenal playing at home ( very rude
fans ) - as I got off at Blackhorse Rd I heard some announcement about an
earlier defective train. The effect of the Arsenal game seemed to be
particuarly bad tonight and no-one seemed to want to move to the Piccadilly
line as was being suggested by LU staff

I try and avoid the new trains where possible, as 9 times out of 10 when
I've been on one it's either broken down or waited for at least 3 mins
between each station. Being more regular now, it's getting hard to avoid
them though. I've therefore taken to an alternative route in the morning
that means as little Victoria Line as possible (or potentially none at all)
and means I get to work on time and has potentially saved me my job!

Old February 23rd 11, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

d wrote
john b wrote:
On Feb 22, 1:05=A0am, wrote:

Does a week go by anymore when there isn't a serious train failure

on it?
And I think we all know which type of train.

Bathtub much?

Eh?

Higher failure rate at the begining and close to the end of service
life

http://www.eng.nus.edu.sg/EResnews/0402/rd/rd_3.html

The bathtub curve is widely used in reliability engineering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

--
Mike D

Old February 24th 11, 08:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Feb 2011 21:59:08 GMT
"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
Higher failure rate at the begining and close to the end of service
life

http://www.eng.nus.edu.sg/EResnews/0402/rd/rd_3.html

The bathtub curve is widely used in reliability engineering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Ah right. Thanks.

B2003

Old February 24th 11, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:52:15 +0000 (UTC), d
wrote:

On 23 Feb 2011 21:59:08 GMT
"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:
Higher failure rate at the begining and close to the end of service
life

http://www.eng.nus.edu.sg/EResnews/0402/rd/rd_3.html

The bathtub curve is widely used in reliability engineering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Ah right. Thanks.

B2003

it must be waited 40 minutes last Wednesday at Euston, trying to get a
Northbound, abandoned the idea for a bus to Liv ST & the train from
there , Thank god for my free bus pass.