Old February 25th 04, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Getting to Kew

Usenet wrote:
In message , Tim wrote
I have a zone 1-3 travelcard loaded on my Oyster card, and want to
travel from Clapham Junction to Kew Gardens. This involves getting a
train to Richmond then changing for Kew Gardens.

However Richmond is in zone 4, which I have always assumed means
having to buy an extension ticket (for something over a pound). This
seems like an unreasonable expense & hassle, since I don't want to go
to zone 4 or to Richmond, it just happens to a necessary one-stop
detour on the way to Kew

But this does beg a question. Say I go from Acton Town to Wembley
Park. Surely Oyster prepay will have to assume I went via Rayners
Lane, which would only involve 3 zones.

But if I have a Z1-3 card and prepay on the Oyster, will it assume I
go via Baker St (4 zones, 3 of which I'm covered for)?

Seems to me the system must charge for the cheapest reasonable route,
allowing for any travelcards in force, but there can be no punishment
for choosing to go by a more expensive reasonable route, because the
user can't control the fare deducted.

Colin McKenzie