Old July 19th 15, 02:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default TV Drama at Waterloo (the inteerceptor)

Apologies to those of you who aren't 6 weeks behind with this :-)

But the opening 10 minute scenes for this was shot in an, obviously busy,
Waterloo station.

Just how do they find the time to do this?

Do they film in the middle of the day and use the normal punters as "extras"
hoping not to make anybody miss their train, or the middle of the night and
hire in two thousand people to act as "commuters".

We're used to stations being used for a short clip with little outside cast,
but this must have been some undertaking, half a dozen separate scenes cut
done to 10 minutes of final output has got to take 8-12 hours of filming
time.

Anyone have any scoop on this?

tim

Old July 19th 15, 06:08 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On 19/07/2015 15:08, tim..... wrote:
Apologies to those of you who aren't 6 weeks behind with this :-)

But the opening 10 minute scenes for this was shot in an, obviously
busy, Waterloo station.

Just how do they find the time to do this?

Do they film in the middle of the day and use the normal punters as
"extras" hoping not to make anybody miss their train, or the middle of
the night and hire in two thousand people to act as "commuters".

We're used to stations being used for a short clip with little outside
cast, but this must have been some undertaking, half a dozen separate
scenes cut done to 10 minutes of final output has got to take 8-12 hours
of filming time.

Anyone have any scoop on this?

tim

The obvious comparison is with Terminus, shot 50 years ago. A lot of
that was set up, and both films used the departure/arrival boards as
anchors to slower-paced action.

Look at the point near the end of the action where the bad guy tumbles
down the stairs. The woman ascending doesn't bat an eye-lid. At one
time I'd have thought that that was the sign of an extra - but perhaps
that is how much a member of the public reacts to such things, nowadays?

Interesting question, Tim. Hope it gets an informed answer.

PA

Old July 19th 15, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I have not actually seen it. I shall certainly look out for it now that you have drawn my attention to it.

When I watch those OUT-TAKE programmes, where we see the inner workings of TV and film, I am always amazed at the outdoor (location) shots where every single person is a paid cast-member. Nowadays it seems that unless it is totally unavoidable all the pedestrians on film are extras.
Old July 19th 15, 07:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

tim..... wrote:

Apologies to those of you who aren't 6 weeks behind with this :-)

But the opening 10 minute scenes for this was shot in an, obviously
busy, Waterloo station.

Just how do they find the time to do this?

Do they film in the middle of the day and use the normal punters as
"extras" hoping not to make anybody miss their train, or the middle
of the night and hire in two thousand people to act as "commuters".

We're used to stations being used for a short clip with little
outside cast, but this must have been some undertaking, half a dozen
separate scenes cut done to 10 minutes of final output has got to
take 8-12 hours of filming time.

Anyone have any scoop on this?

tim

Could well be a combination of both, film during the day for long range
shots, then come back at night with 50 odd extras which would be
sufficient to make the station look busy in close ups.

Peter Smyth
Old July 19th 15, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
I have not actually seen it. I shall certainly look out for it now that
you have drawn my attention to it.

When I watch those OUT-TAKE programmes, where we see the inner workings
of TV and film, I am always amazed at the outdoor (location) shots where
every single person is a paid cast-member. Nowadays it seems that unless
it is totally unavoidable all the pedestrians on film are extras.

Presumably to avoid being sued by identifiably "real" people who have their
own reasons for not wanting to appear, without permission or payment, in a
commercial film? Aren't they supposed to sign a release form?

Old July 19th 15, 08:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 19:59:22 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

tim..... wrote:

[...]

If you look closely at the theatre scene in Alfred Hitchcock's 39
steps, most of the audience are cardboard cut-outs.

And these days you can use CGI to generate a large crowd from a small
number.
Old July 21st 15, 08:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 19/07/2015 19:08, Peter Able wrote:
On 19/07/2015 15:08, tim..... wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember when they filmed one of the Bourne films at Waterloo
they tried to do it with the general public around but the principle
actor (Matt Damon?) kept getting mobbed...

And a little bit of googling leads to:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...m-filming.html
Old July 21st 15, 05:38 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On 19/07/2015 15:08, tim..... wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Even if they did that in The Interceptor, there was still
quite a number of extras, I guess. The departure panel was indicating
about 21:30, btw. Would there have been that type and quantity of folk
there, normally, at that time?

PA

Old July 21st 15, 09:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 21/07/2015 18:38, Peter Able wrote:
[...]
Interesting. Even if they did that in The Interceptor, there was still
quite a number of extras, I guess. The departure panel was indicating
about 21:30, btw. Would there have been that type and quantity of folk
there, normally, at that time?

I haven't seen the programme, but Waterloo can still be pretty busy then.