Old October 20th 04, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Tim is offline

Default Oyster and no capping

From the oystercard.com site

"We are looking at ‘capping’ the maximum amount you will pay in any one
day but have no firm details or a planned introduction date at present."

Given this, do you think it would be a good idea for 1 day travel cards
to be possible on Oyster?

It is rare that I need a 1 day travelcard - it just seems so backwards
to have to go back to a paper ticket.

Tim

Old October 20th 04, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim wrote:

From the oystercard.com site

"We are looking at ‘capping’ the maximum amount you will pay in any one
day but have no firm details or a planned introduction date at present."

Given this, do you think it would be a good idea for 1 day travel cards
to be possible on Oyster?

It is rare that I need a 1 day travelcard - it just seems so backwards
to have to go back to a paper ticket.

Oh no... it was "later this year", then it was "next year", now it's "no
planned introduction date". I wonder what the hold-up is. A lot of
people expect this function from Oyster, and are somewhat disappointed
when they find out it's not on it and won't be for the foreseeable future.

I'm in favour of ODTCs and day bus passes on Oyster until capping can be
brought in, although I'd rather capping were brought in earlier!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old October 20th 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote in
:

Tim wrote:

From the oystercard.com site

"We are looking at ‘capping’ the maximum amount you will pay in any
one day but have no firm details or a planned introduction date at
present."

Given this, do you think it would be a good idea for 1 day travel
cards to be possible on Oyster?

It is rare that I need a 1 day travelcard - it just seems so backwards
to have to go back to a paper ticket.

Oh no... it was "later this year", then it was "next year", now it's
"no planned introduction date". I wonder what the hold-up is. A lot of
people expect this function from Oyster, and are somewhat disappointed
when they find out it's not on it and won't be for the foreseeable
future.

I'm in favour of ODTCs and day bus passes on Oyster until capping can
be brought in, although I'd rather capping were brought in earlier!

I don't understand why they haven't started with capping to a one day bus
pass.

The logic is straightforward: look at the stored journeys, if the card has
three 70p singles for that day (+previous day if before 04:30), then debit
40p and create a one day bus pass (for the previous day if one or more of
the three singles was for the previous day), otherwise debit 70p for
another single.

I can only think of two cases this doesn't work, one the totally artifical
one where the user has been a large number of tube trips (6 or more) so
that the bus trips are no longer stored (in which case a paper travelcard
would offer much better value), the second one journey before midnight,
three between midnight and 04:30 and two after 04:30 scenario (where you
actually want the bus pass for the second day but the logic above would
issue it for the first) - I guess this would need to be explained in the
small print, but would be much better than the nothing currently available.

David