Old December 18th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Trains carried on ships

Didn't there used to be trains that instead of disgorging their
passengers at the docks actually drove (drove?) steamed on to sidings
on the decks of ships then steamed off Stena-like to continue their
journey across Europe?

Old December 18th 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
m...
Didn't there used to be trains that instead of disgorging their
passengers at the docks actually drove (drove?) steamed on to sidings
on the decks of ships then steamed off Stena-like to continue their
journey across Europe?

Yes you are correct. In 1990 I was on a train from Denmark to Sweden and
instead of getting of the train to board the boat, they simply loaded the
carriages onto the train, there were rails imbedded into the deck

It took a while to chain the carriages down and it was a bit disconcerting
to be sitting in a railway carriage that was going up and down as opposed to
rocking from side to side. 1 person in my compartment didn't even realise we
were on a boat, it was night time, and went to use the toilet, before the
days of retention tanks.

It was a very smooth operation and a very strange experience

Old December 18th 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
m...
Didn't there used to be trains that instead of disgorging their
passengers at the docks actually drove (drove?) steamed on to sidings
on the decks of ships then steamed off Stena-like to continue their
journey across Europe?

Freight used to be handled this way from several ports, uncluding Harwich
and Dover.

The only passenger service to taken across by ship was the Night Ferry,
which ceased in 1980. I did the trip and photographed the process about a
month before it ceased. Handling was very smooth: I slept (sober) through
the handling at Dover on the return trip only waking up half-way back to
London (Victoria).

Old December 18th 04, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

For passengers, as far as I know, only the "Night Ferry", between Victoria and
Paris actually did this, via Folkestone.

There was a freight-only equivalent via Harwich at one time.

The equipment used in both ports was a leftover from World War One equipment
installed to supply the troops!

There may have been others, but I am unaware of any.

The 1950s BTF film "Link Span" is a wonderful documentary showing just how this
operated.

Marc.

Old December 18th 04, 02:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Troy Steadman wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 18 Dec 2004:

Didn't there used to be trains that instead of disgorging their
passengers at the docks actually drove (drove?) steamed on to sidings
on the decks of ships then steamed off Stena-like to continue their
journey across Europe?

There was indeed - the "Golden Arrow" ran from London to Paris
overnight, via Dunkerque. Only first-class passengers (I think I am
right in saying) remained on the trains; the others had to get off.
This was the "Night Ferry" service beloved of generations of students,
and used by many of my contemporaries as a cheap way of travelling
between the two capitals. But the train service was considered the last
word in luxury when it was inaugurated.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 18th 04, 03:09 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

I think there's still a route between Germany and Denmark that does this

Old December 18th 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
I think there's still a route between Germany and Denmark that does this

There is. Between Puttgarten and Roedby on the Hamburg to Copenhagen route.
You can stay on the train, or can go into the ship.

Also there's an overnight Malmo (swe) to Berlin (de) service that travels on
the ferry between Malmo and Sassnitz.

Didn't get much sleep that night. The coaches used to be Deutsche Reichsbahn
couchettes, which seemingly hadn't changed much since the days of the Iron
Curtain, plus the rail deck was in the bowels of the ship. not far from the
engine room.

Old December 18th 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
m...
Didn't there used to be trains that instead of disgorging their
passengers at the docks actually drove (drove?) steamed on to sidings
on the decks of ships then steamed off Stena-like to continue their
journey across Europe?

Still happens today.

There's a regular service between Denmark & Germany where diesel trains
leave Copenhagen & the same train continues to Hamburg (and possibly
further) with a sea journey as part of the trip.

CW

Old December 18th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
m...
Didn't there used to be trains that instead of disgorging their
passengers at the docks actually drove (drove?) steamed on to sidings
on the decks of ships then steamed off Stena-like to continue their
journey across Europe?

See link & third picture down

http://www.scandlines.de/en/infocent...ategory3-1.htm

Old December 18th 04, 04:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Tim Christian" wrote in message

The only passenger service to taken across by ship was the Night Ferry,
which ceased in 1980. I did the trip and photographed the process about a
month before it ceased. Handling was very smooth: I slept (sober) through
the handling at Dover on the return trip only waking up half-way back to
London (Victoria).

There was one night in, IIRC, 1967 or 1968 when there was heavy rain and
flooding in Kent, and each route the train took was blocked and it had to
turn back. Passengers expecting to wake up on the way in to Paris woke up at
Gravesend.

In the 1960s this was a very heavy train, loading up to 17 vehicles, though
only the wagons-lits and fourgons (vans for registered baggage) went across
on the ferry. Wagons-lit passengers went through customs formalities at
Victoria, though seated passengers went through customs at Dover. The
gangway door between the two parts of the train had to be firmly locked.

Peter