Old December 20th 04, 09:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Trains carried on ships -goods too!

Michael Bell wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 19 Dec 2004:

In other words, Eurotunnel aren't making enough money out of it. Who would
have thought that ferries could beat a tunnel on price and speed?

I have a feeling the lorry drivers prefer ferries as they can get a
decent break, a meal and perhaps a nap before driving what might be a
very long distance indeed on the other side.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 20th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Terry Harper wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 19 Dec 2004:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

It may have been disappointing, but it certainly still exists! And I'm
not sure how disappointing passenger traffic is, since they run the
shuttle service every 20 minutes or thereabouts, and 4 passenger tph
through the tunnel - which surely they wouldn't do by now if passenger
levels didn't warrant it?

I see that Eurotunnel are reducing the number of lorry shuttles
considerably, as the increased charges are driving many operators back to
the ferries.

Still a huge queue of lorries last time we went over a few weeks ago!
But then, if they've cut back on lorry-trains, perhaps that's
inevitable.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/
Website updated 18 December 2004

No cut-back yet, Annabel. The loadings always seem pretty good, apart from
certain predictable periods- I had to sit in the loco cab one day last week
when coming off shift, as there weren't any seats available in the club-car.
Brian
(who'll be interested to see how busy it'll be on Christmas afternoon, when
he's next on shift..)

Old December 20th 04, 11:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Trains carried on ships

In article ,
Mrs Redboots wrote:

The autoroute to Rouen is lovely, especially the "Aire de la Baie de
Somme", where we always stop, whether we need to or not! Imagine people
going to a service area in the UK if they didn't have to.....

I always stop at Tebay even if I don't need to ... though it's got
busier now than when it first opened, there's still nowhere else you
get such a great view of the WCML !

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself
Old December 20th 04, 02:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
Michael Bell wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 19 Dec 2004:

In other words, Eurotunnel aren't making enough money out of it. Who would
have thought that ferries could beat a tunnel on price and speed?

I have a feeling the lorry drivers prefer ferries as they can get a
decent break, a meal and perhaps a nap before driving what might be a
very long distance indeed on the other side.

And it's exactly the same for coach drivers. (Not that they have much
influence over the mode of cross-channel transport chosen by a tour
operator, of course. But they do prefer the ferry; and so do I.)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG

Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old December 20th 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Nick Leverton
writes
I always stop at Tebay even if I don't need to ... though it's got
busier now than when it first opened, there's still nowhere else you
get such a great view of the WCML !

Tebay is my local M/way services, But I yet to find another to rival it
apart from prices.
--
Clive.
Old December 20th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:17:09 +0000, Ian Jelf
wrote:

And it's exactly the same for coach drivers. (Not that they have much
influence over the mode of cross-channel transport chosen by a tour
operator, of course. But they do prefer the ferry; and so do I.)

As do I, if I'm travelling with a car. A break from driving (or being
a passenger in one of Charlie's favourite little boxes ) for some
fresh sea air and/or a relaxing cup of coffee. The new Seafrance ship
is especially good as the coffee bar has a view out of the front and
comfortable seating in the right place to enjoy it.

If I'm doing a long train journey I choose Eurostar for the speed and
convenience, mind.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old December 20th 04, 05:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Ian Jelf
wrote:
In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
Michael Bell wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 19 Dec 2004:

In other words, Eurotunnel aren't making enough money out of it. Who would
have thought that ferries could beat a tunnel on price and speed?

I have a feeling the lorry drivers prefer ferries as they can get a
decent break, a meal and perhaps a nap before driving what might be a
very long distance indeed on the other side.

And it's exactly the same for coach drivers. (Not that they have much
influence over the mode of cross-channel transport chosen by a tour
operator, of course. But they do prefer the ferry; and so do I.)

Yes, I've got to admit that's a factor I hadn't thought of.

Michael Bell

Old December 20th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Terry Harper wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 19 Dec 2004:

I've found it as quick to drive to Dover, take P&O and have breakfast or
lunch in Langan's Brasserie, and drive down the Autoroute towards Rouen

in
recent years, when visiting glass works in the valley of the Bresle.

The autoroute to Rouen is lovely, especially the "Aire de la Baie de
Somme", where we always stop, whether we need to or not! Imagine people
going to a service area in the UK if they didn't have to.....

But these days we always take the tunnel. Quite honestly, early
experiences on the Newhaven-Dieppe run have put me off ferries for life!

I've tried it once, but didn't like the breakfast:-(
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm

Old December 21st 04, 08:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Alan Osborn" wrote in message

There are still although not in the UK since the demise of the Night
Ferry in c. 1970's -
I can still recall seeing the Wagon Lits SNCF train at London Victoria

It was withdrawn due to problems with the French stock unique as being
French but built to UK loading gauge.
The ferry I understood last much longer for freight wagons.

The Night Ferry was carried on the St Germain which was also used as a car
ferry (I used it in 1965). I also travelled on it with the Night Ferry in
1980 (having used the connecting boat train). It was replaced in c 1988 by
the Nord Pas de Calais, a purpose built trainferry which required two
dedicated 33/2s to shunt so the boat stayed upright in the trainferry dock.
It was proposed that prohibited tunnel freight would use it after the
opening of the same but it now carries lorries only, saw it last month.