Old December 18th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Default Own journeyplanner

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:48:12 -0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Sam wrote:

Andy wrote:
Ralf Mayer wrote:
2) Paddington: Seems to be triple. On H & C as an isolated station,
but with
the circle to allow transfers (to where). Then one circle on the
Bakerloo,
and another one on the District/Circle section. How is the setup
there, how
many different Paddingtons are there and how can one interchange from
one to
the other? Do you leave the station / ticket gates to change?

The H & C platforms are basically the length of Paddington mainline
station away from the entrance to the Circle/District and Bakerloo
station.

A related question - say you want to go from Liverpool St to
Paddington, with the intention of catching the Heathrow Express. What's
better for the change at Paddington - to get a Circle train and arrive
at the front of the station, or to wait for an H&C and come along side?

Depends on how long it is from the next circle to the next H&C. Anything
over three minutes and it's definitely not worth it.

Would also depend on whether you are already in possession of your
Heathrow Express ticket. I would say that the H&C platforms are about the
same distance from the front of a Heathrow Express as the Circle platform
is from the rear, maybe even a bit closer when you consider that you will
be arriving on the inner circle platform and need to cross over the
bridge. So, if you have a HEx ticket, the first train is the best answer.
Even if you don't have a ticket and the first train is a H&C, get on it
anyway and reassess the situation at Edgware Rd. It's not unknown for a
Wimbleware to pull out while a H&C is stopped across the platform. Add
Metropolitans into the equation for more choices as pointed out by Tom.

My advice would be to stick with rule number 1 for tube travel - Always
get on the first train. [with some exceptions]

--
Fig

Old December 18th 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Fig wrote:

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:48:12 -0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Sam wrote:

Andy wrote:
Ralf Mayer wrote:
2) Paddington:

The H & C platforms are basically the length of Paddington mainline
station away from the entrance to the Circle/District and Bakerloo
station.

A related question - say you want to go from Liverpool St to Paddington,
with the intention of catching the Heathrow Express.

Depends on how long it is from the next circle to the next H&C.
Anything over three minutes and it's definitely not worth it.

Would also depend on whether you are already in possession of your Heathrow
Express ticket.

ISTR that one can buy a ticket on the train.

Or am i thinking of the Stansted Express?

My advice would be to stick with rule number 1 for tube travel - Always
get on the first train. [with some exceptions]

Heh! A good rule, but it's the "some exceptions" that are all the fun ...

tom

--
Orange paint menace
Old December 19th 06, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
ISTR that one can buy a ticket on the train.

Or am i thinking of the Stansted Express?

One can on both [avoids temptation to make bad 'One' pun] - in both
cases it means one can't use a railcard, and on the HEx case you get
charged an extra couple of quid.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old December 19th 06, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:07:12 -0000, John B wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
ISTR that one can buy a ticket on the train.

Or am i thinking of the Stansted Express?

One can on both [avoids temptation to make bad 'One' pun] - in both
cases it means one can't use a railcard, and on the HEx case you get
charged an extra couple of quid.

Additionally, on checking this morning I note that there are ticket
machines at the exit of the H&C platforms and also on platform 6/7 (usual
HEx plats). So, to answer the original question, if traveling from
Liverpool St to Paddington for HEx, either a Circle or H&C train will do.

Whatever train you are catching from Paddington, I would say H&C station
is better placed for getting you to your onward connection while the
Circle/District station is better if you want to look around the shops
prior to boarding.

None of which explains why the 0615 FGW to Reading took over 45 mins to
crawl to West Drayton this morning making me late for work
/fume

--
Fig
Old December 19th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article op.tks8uwbhm4iaeb@dell,
Fig wrote:
Whatever train you are catching from Paddington, I would say H&C station
is better placed for getting you to your onward connection while the
Circle/District station is better if you want to look around the shops
prior to boarding.

Yes, but I'd estimate the difference in walking-to-mainline-train
to be ~1 minute, unless you have a lot of luggage (in which case
you don't care about the time, you care about the steps and
escalators).

--
I don't play The Game - it's for five-year-olds with delusions of adulthood.

Old December 19th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

d wrote:
"Ralf Mayer" wrote in message
Well, I did start gathering data and making my own journeyplanner to take
with me on a mobile, and I am able to find quickest routes through most
lines already... but some question to the line setup however remain, I am
certain you will have no difficulties helping me with them:

I'm really not big into parade-raining, and I do apologise if this seems at
all rude, but here goes...

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/

Facinating, apparently it provides live departures on the central line,
how accurate is it?

Old December 19th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
d wrote:
"Ralf Mayer" wrote in message
Well, I did start gathering data and making my own journeyplanner to take
with me on a mobile, and I am able to find quickest routes through most
lines already... but some question to the line setup however remain, I am
certain you will have no difficulties helping me with them:

I'm really not big into parade-raining, and I do apologise if this seems at
all rude, but here goes...

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/

Facinating, apparently it provides live departures on the central line,
how accurate is it?

The Circle line too, and various others. I use the site regularly and
only noticed the change on Saturday.

--
Dave Arquati