Old April 19th 09, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.railway

Default CCTV EVERYWHERE IN LONDON

In message , Tony Polson
writes
Sheer aggressiveness almost seems an essential qualification to drive in
London, given the amount of it that drivers of all kinds of vehicles
routinely display. *It isn't a place for the faint-hearted. ;-)

It's called 'assertiveness'.

That probably depends on whether you are doing it, or witnessing it. ;-)

When I was learnt to drive a bus in Bristol we were taught to be
assertive, (and lane correct) to be able to make progress.
--
Clive

Old April 19th 09, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:53:03 +0100, Clive
wrote:

When I was learnt to drive a bus in Bristol we were taught to be
assertive, (and lane correct) to be able to make progress.

But, I assume, not to make your standing passengers go flying by
making rough lane changes and use of full acceleration and full
braking (other than obviously in a genuine emergency)?

If you *were*, then I question the Company's judgement.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old April 19th 09, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.railway

In message , Tim Fenton
writes

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

When I was learnt to drive a bus in Bristol we were taught to be
assertive, (and lane correct) to be able to make progress.

But, I assume, not to make your standing passengers go flying by
making rough lane changes and use of full acceleration and full
braking (other than obviously in a genuine emergency)?

Next time you're in Bristol, have a spin on an 8 or 9. Leaves from
outside the station. Then you'll have an idea of what Clive's on about.

I'll second that, right up to the routes involved!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old April 19th 09, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.railway

In message , Neil Williams
writes
wrote:

When I was learnt to drive a bus in Bristol we were taught to be
assertive, (and lane correct) to be able to make progress.

But, I assume, not to make your standing passengers go flying by
making rough lane changes and use of full acceleration and full
braking (other than obviously in a genuine emergency)?

If you *were*, then I question the Company's judgement.

Neil

I said lane correct, that means being in the correct lane all the time,
no lane changes, I assert my PSV training to be more advanced than my
car training but perhaps that's just my view.
--
Clive
Old April 19th 09, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:44:39 +0100, Clive
wrote:

I said lane correct, that means being in the correct lane all the time,
no lane changes, I assert my PSV training to be more advanced than my
car training but perhaps that's just my view.

No, you're certainly right. As with car drivers, though, it doesn't
stop people driving like prats having passed.

The difference is between assertive and aggressive driving. I would
argue that many London bus drivers drive aggressively, not merely
assertively.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old April 26th 09, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 16:48:19 -0700, SB wrote:

CCTV EVERYWHERE IN LONDON

Have you noticed how many CCTV cameras there are on the average London
train, bus - double / single decker, tram, Underground train? I counted
those on a single decker in London recently and came to about SEVEN
inside - actually there are 10 on some including one at the front
looking at the traffic ahead, one at the side looking at pedestrians
boarding, and one in the driver's cab.

You missed the one at the back looking straight at the drivers behind the
bus so they can earn more money from motorists using the bus lanes that
are used about 4% of the time, the rest of the time they're empty of all
traffic to give a clear run for the buses - the chief causes of traffic
are..... the buses. They crawl over junctions when they should be kept
clear, and everything gets blocked. Get rid of the buses.
Old April 27th 09, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.railway

On Apr 26, 4:34*pm, Ar wrote:

[...]

You're a dickhead, but then you know that already :-)
Old May 6th 09, 07:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.railway

Er, do either of you ever have cause to travel on NX West Midlands
buses??!!

Yep, that can be a bit hairy sometimes but that's the least of their
worries.

Since I moved to Birmingham last year I have only had one bus journey
where no sort of crime has taken place. To be fair I only make bus
journeys about four times a month, but that's still quite a high statistic.
Old May 6th 09, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.railway

In message , at 20:26:30 on Wed, 6 May
2009, Commuter remarked:
Since I moved to Birmingham last year I have only had one bus journey
where no sort of crime has taken place.

Does that include the driver running red lights?