Old January 3rd 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london
JNugent JNugent is offline

Default Massive Airport expansion announced

G Crozier wrote...

(Aidan Stanger) wrote:

G Crozier wrote:

wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see the re-introduction of Wisley airfield,
which while very handy for the M3/M25, would also increase the Nimby
factor.

To hell with more airports in the southeast we only have one decent
airport here in the northwest and that's Manchester and the time is
long overdue for us to have another the same size or larger .

Why? Do any other airports in the NW operate anywhere near their
capacity?

We only have one and that has I stated is Manchester in the SE there
are 4 or 5 major airports each within easy reach of people living in
the area I am thirty odd miles away from Manchester people living in
the Cumberland area have around a hundred mile journey to Manchester .
Capacity doesn't matter it is accessability that matters which many
people up here in the northwest don't have.

I certainly agree that there is great scope for expanding use of the
airports in the NW (especially Liverpool, which as such excellent runway
facilities and a near-perfect estuarine location, but wouldn't particularly
residents of Cumberland). AAMOF, developing Liverpool and Leeds/Bradford
could even take some of the (international) pressure off the London
airports - surely not everyone who lands at Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and
Luton is travelling to London and environs?

But you are mistaken if you think that South East residents all have an
airport within 30 miles of their homes. Even if they did (they don't),
travelling 30 miles in the SE can be a real penance, especially if it
involves the M25. Other things being equal, I'd rather drive from Whitehaven
to Ringway than from Southend to Heathrow.