Old November 18th 09, 05:17 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Sir Terry Farrell backs Euston as venue for London high speedrail hub

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Bruce wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:09:54 -0000, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

Tom Barry wrote:
Mr.G wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:29:02 -0800 (PST), E27002
wrote:

However, Euston would be improved by having better integration with
Euston Square station. Perhaps a now subsurface ticket hall in
front of the mainline station with links to the Northern, Victoria
and H&C/ Circle Lines.

Yes, and a large arch at the entrance.

[Coat already on]

Agreed. An arch would be much better than that fugly propylaeum they
used to have there that the crusties and nostalgia freaks won't shut
up about.

[flame-proof overalls standing by]

Since Euston/St Pancras is to be the gateway to The North and the gateway to
The Continent, how about a Wembley-style arch stretching from Euston to St
Pancras, with gondolas hanging from it? That would show them uppity
Wuppertalers, and I think it might be cheaper than a subterranean
travelator.

Until I read your post, I doubted that it would have been possible for
anyone to come up with an even more tacky idea for Euston Road than a
21st century restaurant-and-nightclub-housing semi-replica of a
grotesque and entirely pointless 19th century propylaeum.

It now appears that I was wrong. ;-)

But it could be held up by fibreglass replica caryatids! Perhaps modelled
after the celebrated Ms Katie Price?

tom

--
A hypothesis or theory is clear, decisive, and positive, but it is
believed by no one but the man who created it. Experimental findings,