Old January 3rd 04, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Unique pedestrian crossing in Burnt Oak

Robert Woolley wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 00:40:35 -0000, "John Rowland"
I have often seen footage of foreign crossroads with 2 diagonal pedestrian
crossings in addition to the 4 orthogonal crossings we usually have here in
Britain. Today I found a crossroads with all six crossings just east of
Burnt Oak tube station in Northwest London. According to the nearest person
I could accost, it's been like that for about 2 or 3 years. Is this the only
one in Britain? It seems to have been there too long to be a trial.

Its not unique. TfL introduced a similar one in Wandsworth about 2
years ago....

From memory, there's one at the junction of Acton Lane and Winchester
St., south of Acton High Street. Both roads are fairly narrow.

It used to be possible to cross diagonally at the NE corner of
Parliament Square, if you walked fast.

Of course it was never marked - it's a long way. Don't know if it's
still possible.

Colin McKenzie