Old November 23rd 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Maryland with an Oyster travelcard?

On 23 Nov, 13:56, Abigail Brady wrote:
On Nov 23, 1:27 pm, Tristan Miller
wrote:

And if I meet a ticket inspector on the train to Liverpool Street, they're
just going to take my word that I boarded at Maryland rather than, say,
Shenfield (or some other Zone 3 station without barriers)? *That seems
rather open to abuse.

It's not a question of "take your word for it". *You have a valid
ticket for where the ticket inspector found you. *If you had a paper
ticket from Maryland to Liverpool Street, wouldn't the same question
arise?

He does have a point though. Although with paper tickets, as you
imply, there has always been an assumption of innocence, with Oyster
PAYG an assumption of guilt has been built in from the start.

It didn't affect travelcards till now, although the dreaded OEP is
about to kick in (eg if he intended to extend to Ilford on PAYG having
touched in at Liverpool Street).