Old January 4th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london
Jon Porter Jon Porter is offline

Default Massive Airport expansion announced

"G Crozier" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:42:33 +0000 (UTC), "Jon Porter"
wrote:

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
G Crozier wrote:
wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see the re-introduction of Wisley airfield,
which while very handy for the M3/M25, would also increase the Nimby
factor.
To hell with more airports in the southeast we only have one decent
airport here in the northwest and that's Manchester and the time is
long overdue for us to have another the same size or larger .

Why? Do any other airports in the NW operate anywhere near their
capacity?

Leeds/Bradford took a lot of market share from Manchester when some lower
fares were introduced in 2000 on some European routes. I have no personal
experience but a colleague from Warrington found it cheaper and quicker

use than Manchester at peak times.

Is a hell of a long drive over to Leeds from Warrington I can be on
Manchester airport in an hour from here and its only half an hour from
Warrington . L&B from here would take me a good two hours at least and
not much different from Warrington and no motorway or rail access
right to the door as is the case with Manchester .
I can be in the center of Amsterdam within three hours of leaving home
via Manchester would probably be longer now with all the palavour that
is going on at airports these days I couldn't be going via L&B though.
Grant .

Not a journey I've done often myself, but a colleague reckoned he found it
quicker, possibly depends on the destination. He used London City when
meeting me so that is possibly what he meant.