Old December 1st 09, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
martin martin is offline

Default Cannot get Railcard discount loaded on to Oyster

On Nov 29, 11:01*am, Clive Page wrote:

Fortunately, because of an earlier thread in this newsgroup, I was able
to readhttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/singlefares/6769.aspx
but that URL does not seem to be linked from anywhere else on the TfL
site (and I've rooted around for some time). *I wonder how anyone who
does not read this newsgroup is expected to find this document.

The breadcrumb trail on the left hand side of the page hints at how
you can find it - but, for reference:
from www.tfl.gov.uk, click Tickets at the top of the page; under Fares
and Tickets click Single fares; then on the left hand side, National
Rail; and finally Discounted daily price capping - Railcards. Clear as
mud, I'm sure you'll agree.

I also thought that I saw somewhere that the reduced price cap does not
apply to travel on buses when using a NR railcard - not all that
unreasonable I guess. *But I can't find this reference any more, and I
haven't the faintest idea how it would apply if you were to use some
combination of buses and trains during the day.

I can attest to the fact that the discounted capping works on buses in
exactly the same way as regular Oyster capping.
Last year, the cost of Z2 one day off-peak price capping with the NR
railcard discount was less than the cost of a one day bus and tram
cap, and provided you travelled after 0930, the lower fare applied.
(This situation probably will occur again next year, though the 2010
railcard discounted price caps haven't yet been published.)

I also had similar trouble getting the discount loaded onto my Oyster
card, as I posted here back in February. Various stations shrugged,
told me it wasn't possible, or tried to make me fill in a registration
form again; Shepherds Bush Central Line eventually pressed the right
combination of buttons with the minimum of fuss.