Old January 5th 04, 12:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Unique pedestrian crossing in Burnt Oak

jasonr (Jason Rumney) @ f2s.com wrote:
(Aidan Stanger) writes:

There are hundreds of them already in London - it's just that most of
them aren't marked as such and don't have a distinctive audible
warning either.

I came across one the other day. Halfway across the road, I realised
that the pedestrian signals were green in both directions and I could
safely cross in one step instead of two. It is rather annoying that
it wasn't more obvious when standing at the curb.

Probably the time of the pedestrian phase is sufficient for an
average/slowish walker to cross one of the marked crossings. Obviously if
you walk briskly, you will be able to cover the longer diagonal distance in
that time, but it would be even more annoying to slower walkers, if not
dangerous, if the diagonal crossing was marked without the crossing times
being extended.
--
Richard J.