Old December 2nd 09, 01:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Basil Jet Basil Jet is offline

Default DLR Train Captain Texting Whilst 'Driving'

Neil Williams wrote:
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 20:36:25 +0000, "
wrote:

I wonder if that will change anytime soon, considering that it this
is often the case in continental Europe.

I think the DLR would operate too slowly if fully automatic, as people
would keep holding the doors open. (For safety reasons, you couldn't
force them to close on people - you'd have to work them like a lift).

That aside, are there any automated railways anywhere that don't have
platform edge doors?

There would be an option to staff the stations, but if you're going to
do that you might as well do what the DLR did and staff the trains
instead, so at least the staff aren't freezing cold on a platform.

You could use CCTV, so that a small number of staff in a warm control room
could operate the doors on a large number of trains.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.