Old December 2nd 09, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default Cannot get Railcard discount loaded on to Oyster

On 2 Dec, 21:18, Stuart Johnson
wrote:
If from 2nd January suppose I board a 405 bus in Redhill just after
9am and use my PAYG Oyster to travel to Croydon, and onwards to
Victoria by tram and District Line. *This means that the off-peak cap
would be applied?

The bus and tram journeys would contribute towards the bus cap, and to
the peak (actually better described as "all day") caps for all zone
combinations, and possibly the off-peak caps if you touch in after
9.30. The tube journey contributes towards the off-peak and all-day
caps for the relevant zone combinations.

However if I alighted at Coulsdon South to go to Victoria by train and
touched in at Coulsdon South before 9.30 would the different peak time
on rail override the bus cap time?

The bus journey contributes towards the bus cap, and to the all day
caps for all zone combinations. The train journey contributes towards
the all day caps relevant to its zones.

Every time the system charges a fare, it increments all of the
relevant caps upwards. If this would result in any of those caps
exceeding its maximum, the fare is constrained downwards such that it
doesn't.

So there isn't a simple answer to "which cap applies" for the rest of
the day, since all of them potentially constrain the fare, depending
on exactly which journeys you make.