Old December 7th 09, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
solar penguin solar penguin is offline

Default Extending point-to-point seasons next year

MIG wrote:

That's exactly the situation now when extending a journey on LU with a
paper travelcard.

Really? Interesting. Thanks. As I hardly ever use LU unless I have
to, and definitely haven't needed any kind of Travelcard season (paper
or otherwise) for nearly 20 years, I didn't know that.

I'm surprised they didn't sort out all the problems and get the system
to work properly on LU _before_ extending it to even more lines where
those problems will become more serious.

It's not a problem.

Having to get off the train to touch in and out is perfectly
acceptable.

Now, never again question the benefits of and benevolent intentions
behind Oyster.

I've been thinking a lot about my feelings towards Oyster, trying to
work out _why_ I'm so sceptical towards it. I think it's because I'm
sceptical towards the whole "zonal fares and Travelcards" concepts which
Oyster is far too heavily mixed up in for my liking.

If Oyster becomes standard on National Rail, it could be a serious blow
against proper point-to-point seasons. I'm worried they might even be
abolished on NR to force everyone into paying extra for Travelcards,
just like has already happened on LU.

OTOH If someone could produce a sort of point-to-point equivalent of
Oyster, I'd probably welcome it with open arms. (Hmmm... Isn't that
more or less what SWT were trying to do before those *******s at TfL
stopped them and forced them to use Oyster instead?)