Old December 7th 09, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Extending point-to-point seasons next year

"solar penguin" wrote in message

I've been thinking a lot about my feelings towards Oyster, trying to work
out _why_ I'm so sceptical towards it. I think it's because I'm sceptical
towards the whole "zonal fares and Travelcards" concepts which Oyster is
far too heavily mixed up in for my liking.

If Oyster becomes standard on National Rail, it could be a serious blow
against proper point-to-point seasons. I'm worried they might even be
abolished on NR to force everyone into paying extra for Travelcards, just
like has already happened on LU.

The TOCs already announced, (some time prior to 2008 when all non-seasons
became zonally priced), that all point to point seasons within the zones
would be changed to zonal pricing from Jan 2010.

I don't think anything more has been announced about that recently though.
Seasons could still show origin and destination, but there'd be little point
in not making them valid zonally.

Paul S