Old December 10th 09, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bruce[_2_] Bruce[_2_] is offline

Default Leinster Gardens

On 10 Dec 2009 22:13:22 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

Bruce wrote:
Listing wouldn't necessarily prevent redevelopment, especially if the
new retains the appearance (or even the facades) of the old.

I have worked on many projects in London where a listed facade was
retained to front a thoroughly modern building built behind it.

Indeed, but perhaps they are listed for their architectural interest in
/not/ having a rear, rather than the facade that pretends they do.

Speculation, of course. It would be interesting to know why they are
listed, whether they are listed as part of a larger terrace or only
these false frontages.

In any case, changes to listed buildings need Listed Buildings Consent. So
you need to convince TPTB to allow it, rather than being set in stone that
it's impossible.

For the avoidance of doubt, my point was that a listing does not
necessarily prevent redevelopment.