Old December 11th 09, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Single fare from 2nd Jan

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:34:43 -0600,
wrote:

Not between Putney and East Putney, I see.

An interesting point - are any existing NR tickets routed via that
interchange? * Richmond to Wimbledon?

I only mentioned it because it's been raised here and Putney is my home
town. I think I said at the time I couldn't see what plausible routes
would use it.

No sign of Warren Street - Euston Square either, and there are plenty
of plausible routes that would use that one.

Waterloo East (NR) - Embankment (LU) (30)
Waterloo *(NR) - Embankment (LU) (25)

A reasonable OSI for NR to Embankment I suppose, but why is less time
allowed from the main station than the slightly closer Waterloo East?

I think I'd argue that Waterloo East is actually slightly further
away.

More importantly, the main, and sometimes only, route to Waterloo East
is to go through Waterloo first. It's the walking route that matters;
not the crowfly distance.

I thought there was a route via Waterloo Road (past the Wellington)?
That's the on I thought might be shorter. There's not much in it either
way, hence my surprise at there being a difference.

Look at it this way - if you leave Waterloo by the war memorial exit
(near platform 19), you come out next to the viaduct between Waterloo
East and Charing Cross (i.e. you're closer to Charing Cross than
Waterloo East is).

There's also a very long staircase to negotiate if you leave Waterloo
East by its street exit, which adds additional walking time.

Then again, I can't see why this OSI exists at all, seeing as all
trains calling at Waterloo East go on to Charing Cross, which is a
much better interchange station for Embankment. Do trains really take
such a long time to get into CX at peak time that it's quicker to
walk?