Old December 11th 09, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default DLR Stations

On 11 Dec, 08:55, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 03:09:05 +0000, siege

wrote:

Why are most of the DLR Stations so close?

DLR is a light rail system and is designed to allow frequent stops.
Surely it makes sense to build stations close to where people live and
work so that the system is convenient for them and attractive to use?

Not everyone wants an express service from A to B although City to
Docklands will have 3 choices by the time Crossrail is built - DLR, Tube
and Crossrail. *Oh and the 135 bus if that is still going by then.

I also noticed the new Stations in the Stratford and Canning Town area
are very close.

Yes but there are very considerable areas of housing and industrial
activity in those areas that are poorly served by buses and which the
Jubilee Line passes by. I fully expect the new intermediate stations on
the DLR line to be very well used. *This will be no different to the
closely spaced stations between Poplar and Stratford which are all
pretty busy. *I understand Langdon Park is well used despite all the
doubts at the project evaluation stage as to whether it was justified as
a project.

Also, while distances may often be short along the track, people can't
walk along the track. There's a lot of places where a short stop on
the DLR corresponds to a much longer walking route