Old January 6th 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Lawrence Myers Lawrence Myers is offline

Default Question about the tunnels at Angel

When was there a siding at Angel? The present siding at Euston, which
connects the SB line with the NB and the loop to the Piccadilly
line, was originally the NB line. As far as I know there was previously no
siding at either location.
--
Lawrence Myers

wrote in message
In article ,
(Heliomass) wrote:

I have a question that's been bugging me for some time. When you're
travelling northbound on the city branch of the Northern line, as you
approach Angel, the train appears to pass diagonally across an enlarged
section of tunnel (ie, an open space suddenly appears on one side and
as the
wall moves closer on approach to the station, the wall on the other
side of
the train seems to move away). Upon leaving the station, the same thing
happens in reverse. Can anyone explain this?

Also, judging by the size of the southbound platform, I'm assuming that
this
was where the original station was, and that the old northbound line was
covered up by the platform. If this is so, do the original NB tunnels
still
exist behind the walls at the ends of the platform?

Many thanks,

Daniel.

see:

http://www.romilepa.pwp.blueyonder.c.../stepplate.JPG

Originally posted to show a step-plate junction, this shows the basics of
the NB approach to Angel. The platforms are directly to the right of the
diagram.

There was also a similar diversion made for the Euston City platform.
Except that at Euston the original NB track (now known as the Euston
loop)was retained to give access to the SB platform.

At both Angel and Euston there was a siding off the platform to the right,
situated between the NB and SB running rails. At both stations the siding
was blocked off as the NB diversion passed through it at an angle. This is
still visible from the crossover when departing Euston SB.

Roger